Chapter Seven

The house was much busier now than it had been earlier. The backyard was full of tables and chairs and people in fancy clothes drinking fancy drinks and talking about things that Aaden knew nothing about.

He had never felt so out of place or overwhelmed in all his life. But when he looked at Kathleen she looked the same way he felt and he took comfort knowing that she wasn't comfortable living this kind of life either. He would do anything he had to in order to make her happy but it relieved him knowing that hanging out with all these stuffy people didn't make her happy.

The day passed quickly and Aaden never did get another chance to sit down with Kathleen alone and tell her how he felt. It was time for dinner and Aaden looked around the large dining room for Kathleen. He saw her walk in and realized she'd been upstairs and changed her clothes.

His jaw nearly dropped to the floor. She was wearing a bright red halter dress that came to her knees. The neckline plunged low and he felt his mouth go dry at the sight of her cleavage. She had her hair pulled high on her head though a few loose tendrils were hanging down her neck and around her face. She had on a pair of dangling diamond earrings that caught the candlelight in the room when she turned her head.

She was stunning. He left the room quickly before she could see him. He couldn't very well be at dinner looking the way he did when she looked so incredible.

He ran up to their room and changed into another pair of black trousers and a black button up dress shirt. He had even bought a black sport coat… though he wasn't sure why it was called a sport coat since you could barely move your arms in the damn thing. He pulled it on and then wet down his messy brown hair and combed it back. He pulled on his black leather shoes and took a look in the mirror.

He was just a plain old country boy but he cleaned up pretty damn nice if he did say so himself. He walked back down to the dining room to find that everyone was already seated and that they were laughing… Everyone except Kathleen was laughing anyway.

"Left you already did he, Kathy?" Tom asked. "Should have known that old poor boy wouldn't really want to be with you." Aaden walked up to the table then and Kathleen's eyes lit up when she saw him. He leaned down to kiss her cheek before sitting beside her. Everyone at the table turned their attention to other things and got lost in their own conversations.

"Sorry I'm late." Aaden said to Kathleen. She smiled.

"You look very handsome." she said. He nodded.

"I know I do. I look just like the man in black himself." he said. She laughed lightly and then his eyes turned more serious.

"You look gorgeous tonight, Kathleen." he said. She blushed.

"Christy helped me find the dress.. .Of course after she saw you at the apartment that day she quit saying we were shopping for eat your heart out and make you wish you were dead clothes. Instead we were shopping for make mr. tall, dark and handsome fall in love with me clothes."

"That dress would certainly get that done.. But uh.. If Mr. tall, dark and handsome tries to hit on you while I'm around I'll have to kick his ass." Aaden said with a grin.

"She was talking about you…. Sometimes she lets her imagination get away with her. I told her that you and I are just friends."

"So I'm the Mr. tall dark and handsome that you were hoping to get to fall in love with you by wearing that dress?" She blushed and shook her head.

"No..I…" she wasn't sure what to say so just blushed deeper while she stuttered.

"Because you didn't need that dress to do that.. I'm already there." he said. Kathleen's eyes widened but she didn't get a chance to reply to his confession before Tom interrupted their conversation from across the table.