Chapter Fourteen

A week passed and Aaden couldn't help but notice that as their wedding drew closer Kathleen seemed to grow more sad. He pulled in from work the next Thursday determined to find out once and for all what had her so depressed.

He walked in the house and found her sound asleep on the couch. Her face was still wet with tears and she was curled up in a ball with the blue afghan she used to brighten up the couch pulled around her. Aaden saw that the answering machine was blinking and he pressed play.

"Hello Kathleen." It was her mother Dorothy. "I know you've been trying to reach your father and I over the past week. Edward has given us several messages from you about your upcoming wedding next weekend. We felt like we should call you and let you know that we will not be attending. Your father says he cannot walk you down the aisle when the man you are marrying is so far beneath you. Marrying this man will be the biggest mistake of your life and we do not want to have a part in it. Tom told us about the incident last week and it just furthers our belief that this new man is not bringing out the best in you. You are not happy with that loser and until you come to your senses and come back to us and to Tom please do not contact us again."

Aaden felt anger fill his heart as the message played and by the time it was over he was literally shaking. How dare that hoity toity bitch call and make his woman cry? This explained Kathleen's sadness over the past week. He looked over at her still sound asleep and sighed. He wished there was something he could do to ease her pain. Her parents were evil people with no hearts.

Aaden didn't wake Kathleen. He took a quick shower, changed into some sweatpants and a t-shirt and starting frying up some hamburgers for dinner trying to think of a way to make the situation better for Kathleen.

888

Aaden called into work the next morning but didn't tell Kathleen. Instead he kissed her goodbye and headed off at the normal time but instead of driving to the sawmill he made the long drive to Lexington. He had the picture of Kathleen he had taken while they'd been out four wheeling sitting on the passenger seat.

He wanted to show her parents just how wrong they were about Kathleen not being happy and this picture was the best example of that he could think of. He had caught her mid laugh in this picture and her happiness was shining out of her green eyes. She was covered in mud and dirt but still seemed to shine. He knew that a complete stranger could look at this picture and see what a happy woman Kathleen was and not be able to help but smile as well.

He pulled up the long driveway and around the naked women fountain. He stopped his old truck and climbed out putting the picture in his pocket. Edward opened the door before he even got to it.

"Hello Aaden. I was wondering how long it would take you to come after that horrible message Dorothy left with Kathleen yesterday." Aaden nodded.

"Yea well I was hoping I could talk to Charles and Dorothy." he replied. Edward nodded.

"I expected you would. They are in the sitting room. Follow me." Edward led Aaden through the museum like house to the sitting room. Edward knocked before opening the door and Aaden saw Dorothy and Charles sitting in separate arm chairs next to the fireplace. Charles was smoking a cigar and reading a newspaper while Dorothy was knitting. They both looked up and their eyes widened in surprise when they saw Aaden.

"What are you doing here?" Charles demanded laying his paper down in his lap. "I thought I made it clear that you were not welcome here. Especially not after that horrible display you made in my dining room the last time you were here."

"As I recall your best boy Tom was the one that came across the table at me and called your daughter a bitch." Aaden reminded him. Edward walked over to the far wall and stood with his hands crossed in front of him. His life was entirely too dull and he wasn't about to miss out on this bit of excitement.