Chapter Three

FOUR MONTHS LATER

"Can I ask why you aren't dancing in circles and throwing a fiesta?" Christy demanded when she walked into Kathleen's apartment. Kathleen had been living here for two months after finally finding a job at the local clinic doing secretarial work. It was the first real job she'd ever had and she was very proud of the tiny paycheck she brought home every week and the tiny apartment she was able to pay for herself.

Kathleen did a little spin and threw her hands in the air.

"La fiesta!" she said sarcastically. Christy rolled her eyes.

"You should be celebrating! You're divorce is finally final from that jackass!" she said holding out a case of daiquiris. Kathleen was very happy that her divorce from Tom was final. Several times over the last few months she had been afraid that things would turn violent but Tom's wish to one day enter politics proved stronger than his urge to teach her a lesson.

It helped that she had not asked him for anything. She had refused alimony and had refused the house. The only thing she took was the insurance money from the Lumina to help buy her the blazer sitting out in the parking lot now.

"You act like something is wrong. Don't tell me you regret divorcing him." Christy said as she set the Chinese take out on the table and the two women sat down. Kathleen made a face.

"God no. Divorcing him was the smartest thing I've ever done." she said.

"Then what's wrong?"

"I talked to my mother today." Now it was Christy's turn to make a face.

"Oh and what pray tell did the mighty she devil have to say?" Christy asked taking a bite.

"Well apparently her and my father are throwing a two day dinner party next weekend and I am invited." Kathleen said. Christy raised a perfectly arched eyebrow.

"But I thought your parents were still fuming at you for divorcing Tom?"

"Oh they are… That's why they invited me. It seems that Tom is also coming, along with that brunette bimbo Regina."

"What? They invited your ex and his home wrecker to their party?" Christy said slamming her fork down on the table. Kathleen nodded as she popped open a daiquiri and took a long drink.

"Yep."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Well I have to go. I mean if I don't go then that will look like a victory to my parents and to Tom and his Regina." Kathleen said. Christy nodded.

"I agree." she said.

"But I cannot go alone." Kathleen said matter-of-factly. Christy shook her head.

"No of course not." she agreed.

"So what am I going to do?" Kathleen asked. Christy picked her fork back up and went back to eating.

"Find a date." she said. Kathleen snorted.

"No one is going to date me.." she said her hand automatically going to the jagged scar on her cheek. She had not even attempted to date since her accident. She knew no man could possibly find her attractive now.

"You have major self esteem issues." Christy scolded. Kathleen dropped her hand from her face and blushed angrily.

"But I'm right. I'm getting closer to thirty everyday. I'm not getting any thinner and no amount of make-up could ever hide this." she said pointing to the scar. Christy shook her head.

"You are beautiful. I wish you could see that." she said. "You have bright green eyes that I would kill for. Beautiful long wavy blond hair that I wish I could trade my brown poodle curls for and the greatest smile I've ever seen. Any man would be lucky to have you on his arm at that stupid get together."