Chapter 20

---- 40 days left ----
---- Bold is Rachel ----

"Lucy." I stirred from my tangled sleep on the couch. "Lucy!" I moaned but made no effort to get up. "LUCY!!"

"What?" I jolted up. "Santana? What do you want?"

"Get up. It's 2 and we both have therapy today." She ripped the blanket off me.

"I'm not going." I mumbled, and tried to grab the blanket back from her.

"Yes you are, and then right after we're going to meet Rachel in central park." I jolted up again.

"What?"

"Yeah, she called and said she wanted to talk to you, and that we should meet her by the Alice and Wonderland statue after therapy."

"Well, I'm not going." I turned over so I was facing away from her and she sighed.

"Lucy, you should go." Was she seriously trying to preach to me?

"Oh don't try to get all wise with me Miss AA. You don't know anything about me!"

"You don't know anything about me!"

"Oh boohoo! Your wife was wrongly put in a mental hospital then got out a couple months later! Oh boohoo! Your best friend is suicidal! How hard the must be for you! I can't even imagine!" I screamed at her.

"You know nothing about me!"

"I know everything about you! You can't hide stuff from me! I knew about you and Brittany before you knew about you and Brittany! Oh poor you! You grew up on the wrong side of town, your life was fucking perfect! I had to be fucking perfect or else my dad would beat me!"

"At least you had a dad!"

"What?"

"My dad was an alcoholic who disappeared in the summer before senior year! Didn't you ever wonder why he wasn't at my wedding? Oh that's right! You didn't go!"

"I never thought- I didn't- I-I"

"Yeah, well you don't think. You just let your mouth open and say whatever you want! You don't notice things about other people. You never told me what happened in that damn apartment building but Kurt went to see Rachel."

"He did?"

"Yeah. And he told me what happened. She's afraid. Lucy, you came here to help her. So help her. She needs you more then anyone right now. The only way you can do it is if you get off you sweet ass and fucking go to therapy!" She was right. I'm being a self centered bitch.

"I hate your guts."

"Mm."

---- after an awkward car ride, a therapy session and another awkward car ride, then a screaming match when Santana refused to come along, Quinn got out of the car ----

"Fuck." I muttered under my breath as I walked away from a smirking Santana in the car.

"Maybe later sweetheart!" A man called as a walked by. I ignored him and sorta sleepwalked my way to the statue where I found Rachel.

"Hey."

"I have something to tell you." she said standing up immediately. She walked over towards me and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"What?" She took a step back, and my cheek tingled where her lips had been a second ago. "Rachel?" She looked positively terrified and refused to look me in the eyes. "Did you just kiss-"

"SUMMER COMES WINTER FADES!" She took a few steps back and belted out a line.

"Um-"

"Here we are just the same
Don't need pressure, don't need change
Let's not give the game away"

"Rachel I don't-"

"There used to be an empty space
A photograph without a face
But with your presence, and your grace
Everything falls into place"

"I'm still really con-"

"Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back
Doesn't mean my heart stops skipping when you look at me like that
There's no need to worry when you see just where we're at
Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back

Heavy words are hard to take
Under pressure precious things can break
And how we feel is hard to fake
So let's not give the game away

Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back
Doesn't mean my heart stops skipping when you look at me like that
There's no need to worry when you see just where we're at
Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back

And fools rush in
And I've been the fool before
This time I'm gonna slow it down
'Cause I think this could be more
The thing I'm looking for" Jessie, Brody, Puck, Sam, how many good guys has she dated before? The only one I can think of is Finn.

"Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back
Doesn't mean my heart stops skipping when you look at me like that
There's no need to worry when you see just where we're at
Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back

Please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back
Doesn't mean my heart stops skipping when you look at me like that
There's no need to worry when you see just where we're at
Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back" She made eye contact with me again and my heart jumped in its chest.

"Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back" I smiled and she looked down again. It was a start, maybe even our beginning.

"Rachel?"

"I hope you got the desired message out of that song, and I regret to inform you I must depart." She turned around and started speed walking away but before she could get far I grabbed her wrist.

"I won't give up on you." She grinned and blushed, but averted her gaze.

"That was really cheesy Lucy." I tilted her head up to look at mine.

"Cheesy?" I feigned offense. "I prefer romantic." I stared at her lips for a second and we were inches away. "Would you like to go out with me?" I asked, suddenly nervous.

"Definitely cheesy." she giggled. "I would be honored to 'go out with you'." I grinned.

"Then I'll text you the details." I stared at her lips again. Then she kissed me on the cheek.

"You mustn't look at my lips too long Lucy, one might think you want to kiss me." She gave a pure innocent smile then walked away.

"We wouldn't want them thinking that now would we!" I called after her, and I heard her laugh. I can't remember the last time I flirted and actually got what I wanted.