1.7

Jane West
.
.
.
.
I open my eyes and endure the sound of Harry's heartbeat against my ear, listening closely as it quickens rapidly the moment he looks into my eyes.

"How was your little slumber?..." He asks in a raspy voice.

"Fine, I couldn't of been asleep for more than five minutes?"

"Try, five hours." He cocks his head and flashes me with his alluring smile.

"You have got to be kidding me! We have to get going!" I eagerly jump off the couch and pull him along by his hand.

"Where are your car keys?!" I anxiously ask, while running around the kitchen.

"Slow, down love. They're in my back pocket." He chuckles, taking them out of his pocket.

"There's a coffee shop not too far from here, you could work there." He suggests.

"That sounds great!" I lie.

"Why don't you drop me off there and pick me up at about six 'O' clock?" I add.

"Uh, sure. I do have to run some errands and it should take me around an hour."

"You really need to buy a hairbrush while you're out!" I say in a serious, half- joking tone.

"Okay, what color do you want?"

"Not for me, for you!"

"You must have seen my combs..." He cheekily smiles and leads us outside to his car.

"Yeah, I did. I saw all of them..." I admit, as I open my car door to get inside.
...

"I'll be back in an hour! I know you'll make the job!" I nervously chortle and step out of his car, finding relief the moment he drives away.

Like planned, I sneakily walk past the coffee shop and conveniently find a pay phone about a block away.

After paying a quarter, I dial for a cab and vigorously anticipate the few- minute wait until it arrives.

As the cab pulls up along the side of the road, I run to it quickly and tremble in fear of being caught by Harry.
...

"Is this the diner?" The chauffeur asks, slowing down as we reach the right place.

"Yep, we're here.."

Once I pay for my ride and get out of the cab, I hurriedly make way to the familiar front doors.

I open the door and run inside, bumping into a familiar boy with blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

"Jane, what are you doing here?" Niall asks, intrigued by our closeness. I back away and dodge the sight of his lust-filled eyes.

"I'm here to apply for a job. Are there any openings?"

"There's plenty! I'll go get you an application!" He playfully says, skipping off to the kitchen.

He hands me the application to fill out and gawks at me the entire time, while I fill everything out.

"I think some customers just came in. You better go wait on them and stop watching me the whole time." I tell him, looking him up and down sassily.

"You're cute when you get sassy. I.... like it. A lot." Niall admits, and his cheeks become red.

...

After I finish filling out all the information on the application with a moment of silence, I finally break the silence between Niall and I.

"Here's the application. I better get going, before Harry finds out I applied here."

"You haven't told Harry?" Niall raises his eyebrows, grinning.

I roll my eyes and ignore his question, hurrying out of the diner to find another cab.

Once I do, I pay the driver in advance and check the time before it's too late.

"Why is there this much traffic in such a small town?!"

"Don't you know about the monthly parades?" The cab driver explains, making me feel even more tense.

"No, how long will it take before we get to the coffee shop?!"

"It's hard to say, maybe a half hour?" He begins humming along to the radio, as I just about scream.

"How long would it take if you drove, maybe, a little faster!?"

"Hmm, probably fifteen minutes to twenty?"

"Then step on it!"

...

"Was that so bad? you're here now." I shrug and grab my purse, hopping out of the cab.

Without looking both ways, I sprint across the busy street and pant as I open the door to the coffee shop.

That's when I see Harry, sipping on an iced coffee and staring me down.

"So, how were your errands?" I chuckle nervously.

"Where were you? I've been here for fifteen minutes..." He scoffs.

"I was, uh, out back?"

"We both know that's not true. I want the truth this time." He folds his hands together and takes another drink.

"Alright, I was too scared to apply here so I went to... the parade..." I tell yet another lie, hoping he'll believe it this time.

"Why would you want to see a parade, they're boring every time..." I cut him off, "Can we just go back to your place now? My feet are literally aching!" He shrugs and gets up from his stool.

The whole ride back to his flat is filled with utter and complete silence, other than the noise of his muffled radio that has made it even more awkward.

-Melissa And Darby