Chapter 12

Kendall's POV

I started driving into Preston Street, and I immediately recognized it. How did I not know this sooner?

It was the street I used to live on. It looked different then how I remembered it. Until I saw it. I drove up the driveway and parked my car looking up at the house.

My old house. The house I lived in before California. I haven't lived in this house in almost 5 years. Yet, nothing has changed about it. It was built with wood covered in render and had white cedar wooden decorations. The windows were half rounded and tall. There was a garden path circling around the half house. I laughed at myself looking at that garden. I remember playing in it all the time and my mother would yell at me for messing up the plants. I look up at the roof, and see the overhang. Then I look to the other side and see the balcony. My room had the balcony, but the play room had the overhang, and I would always sit there and look up at the stars at night.

I felt such nostalgia looking at that house. Why would Charles bring me here at of all places? I could see my phone light up on the passenger seat of the car in the corner of my eye. I look over and see I got a text from an unknown number.

You know where the key is. Don't worry. They're out of town.

I look around to see if Charles was here. I didn't see anything. I got out of the car and went up to the front door of the house, taking out the loose brick at the bottom corner of the doorway covered by the bushes. I take out the spare key and unlock the door to the house. I turn on the lights as I walk in, and see the warm living room, that led to the massive kitchen. I wanted to get to the other side of the living room to where the stairs are. I started walking and then I heard a loud squeak that made me jump.

I look down on the floor and see I stepped on a doll. Shivering, I continued to the staircase. I stepped on the first step, and the floorboard creaked. Shivers continued to come down my spine. As I was walking up, I looked to the wall covered in picture frames. Each had pictures of the family that lived here. There was a mom, dad, and young girl, maybe 8 or 9. They also had a small corgi that was in the family photo. I stopped at the middle of the steps and stared at the photo. It reminded me of my family. We were the same way. Mom, dad, young daughter, and a dog. What made things creepier was that she looked like me. Big brown eyes, long brown hair. Looking at the pictures on the wall, I could tell she always wore dresses, which I did as well.

The only main difference in from this family and my own, was that when you looked at the Hastings family photo, you can look pass the smile, and know they are filled with secrets and lies. With this family, I look pass the smile and see nothing but happiness.

I continue walking up the stairs and I made it to the second floor. I walk over to where my room used to be and flip the switch. I saw that it was still a light blue color, with a pattern of pink bunnies to the side of the wall. I smile like an idiot. I can't believe after all these years, the pink bunnies were still here. I walk further into the room, and sit on the bed. I turn my head, and see a doll staring at me. It was on of those look alike dolls. You know the ones that look like the owner of it. But this doll, looked more like me, then that owner. Actually, it was wearing the same exact outfit I was wearing. I have a tiny birthmark on my ankle, which was also on the doll. I flip the doll over, and pull the string on its back.

"Go onto the balcony." It said in a high pitched voice. I tossed the doll back to where it was in such fright. My heart was beating out of my chest. My hands were shaking and there were goosebumps on my legs. I stood slowly from the bed, and walked to the double doors that led to the balcony. I opened them, and a gust of wind blew in my face. I stepped out and leaned my hands against the rails.

It was a total deja vu moment. And from the balcony, I heard the doll again.

"Go onto the balcony."

My heart was pumping faster than before. I refused myself to turn around. Someone was behind me. I felt their familiar presence And then I said,

"Charles? Is that you?"

There was no answer. I eventually turn around and saw the black hoodie. If he were to take only two steps forward, he would be right in my face.

"What do you want?" I say to him in a stern voice.

"Kendall!" I hear my name being called and I turn. Hanna and Emily were getting out of their car parked in the driveway. I turn and run back into the bedroom. That doll was gone, and so was Charles. I turned off the light to the bedroom and ran downstairs. I turned off all the lights to the rest of the house and locked the door shut. I put the key back where I found it and stood up from the ground to see Emily and Hanna with crossed arms staring down at me in disappointment.

Next thing I knew I was being dragged into the car by Hanna who was driving back to my house. Emily was driving my car behind us. They wouldn't let me drive, thinking that I would try and get away.

I walked back into my house and Emily and Hanna followed. They were beyond livid. They shut the door and crossed their arms, the same way they did back at my old house.

"What?"

"Are you freaking crazy?" Hanna yelled.

"No. I'm not crazy. I went to meet Charles." I calmly state to her, trying to keep my cool.

"Well that was pointless." She glared.

"It wasn't pointless. If you two didn't come in and ruin it, I would have gotten legitimate answers."

"That's a popular line today." Emily whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"We ruined the whole thing with Jason too." Hanna spit out. "And you know what you are crazy because you could have gotten killed tonight."

"So would have you guys when you went to follow Jason." I attack back.

"But we had the police as back up Kendall. You had yourself." Emily said.

Next thing I knew, Spencer barges through the door and slaps me right across the face. I look back at her while holding my cheek, and see her eyes filled with anger.

"What the hell where you doing?" She yelled at me.

I yelled back at her, "Finding out who Charles is myself!"

"You see this is why I didn't originally tell you about Charles. You would of done something stupid and careless to mess it all up."

"What about you? You are no angel either. Spencer, I'm a big girl. I can do things myself. I don't need you always looking out for me."

"You're a carless bitch who always needs watching. You have gotten in countless situations because you thought you could handle everything all on your own. But newsflash, you can't. We are in this together."

How could she say that about me? How long has she been keeping all these emotions in? Furious at what she just told me, I pushed her onto the ground.

She stood right away, and wanted to come at me, but Aria pulled her back.

"Guys! Tonight is a crazy night for all of us. Why don't we all just relax and go to sleep?" She kept looking at both of us, then slowly back away to where Emily and Hanna were. Patiently, they were waiting for our reactions.

After a moment, I scoffed and went upstairs to my room. I slammed the door shut and grabbed a pillow. I threw it onto the bed and screamed right into it.

Minutes later, I sat down on the carpet, thinking about tonight and how hectic it was. Then I thought about Hanna, and what she said.

Well that was pointless.

Me visiting Charles wasn't pointless. Because now, I know who Charles is and, everything finally makes sense.

A/N: IM SO SORRY I HAVENT UPDATED!!! I have been on vacation this whole time and I've been crazy busy. But now I'm back and ready to write some more. I'll post soon about my reaction to the finale, but for now vote and comment! ❤️❤️

Kisses -E