3

I wake up facedown on the ground. I sit up and look around. Toto, I don't think we're in Portland anymore, I think to myself. I'm in a forest, but it's not like the one back home. In this forest, the trees are taller than skyscrapers. A faint path twists and turns to my right, so I get to my feet and begin to follow it towards what I think is the center of the forest.

After a few hours of plodding along, I begin to make out strange voices. It's dark, and I want a flashlight, so for the first time since she handed it to me, I open Alydia's backpack. Strangely, the main compartment contains nothing but four books held together with a rubber band. A sticky note in the band says

     Read these books to understand the land you were forced into. 
                                                         ~Alydia

I look at the titles of the books. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. My adoptive brother had had these books, but he never let me read them. After a while I had forgotten about them.

Well, now seems as good a time as any to figure out where I am, so I climb a tree and start reading.

Three days later, I've finished the books and I continue on my way through Du Weldenvarden, where I assume I am. The voices I had heard a few days ago rebounded and got louder and louder. After a few more hours, I see a strange man, clothed in a white robe with a beam of sunlight coming from nowhere light up his face. He bows towards me. I assume this means I can go through so I continue walking.

The path leads on to reveal houses built out of the trees, surrounded by flowers and paper lanterns. Most of the noise seems to come from the center of the city, so I head there, backpack straps cutting into my back. The noise is almost unbearable now. A strange glow comes out from behind a tree, so I peer out over the corner of a house.

Thousands of strange, catlike people (probably elves) dance wildly around a HUMONGOUS tree covered in lanterns. In one hollow part of the tree pulses a white light. Magic... I think to myself.

I walk closer to the throbbing mass of elves. Suddenly, all the music stops. One of the elves, the queen, judging by her cape, mutters,

"I sense a disturbance. Someone is here that should not be. It comes from over... There" she points directly at me. The elves all look at me. Then, they part so that a path runs directly from me to the queen. Hoping I'm not being overly stupid, I stride up the empty path and stop directly in front of the queen. I kneel and say,

"Atra esterní ono thelduin, Arya Dröttning"