7

We stay in our respective positions for a few seconds, then I retreat. I no longer hear the clash and clang of swords around me, so I look around. All the elves are staring at me.

"Sabrina," says Maela. "From whom did you learn the ways of the sword? You made it seem like you had never touched a sword before, but that cannot be..." She trails off.

"I'm serious. I've never touched a sword before. Just instinct I guess." I don't like the other elves staring at me, so I help Maela up and thank her for sparring with me. I start to head back to my room, but my guard intercepts me.

"That was amazing! How'd you-"

She was (thankfully) interrupted by an elf man running up to us. "Queen Arya would like to see you in her study, miss," he says.

"Now? I thought I was meeting her tomorrow morning!"

"It is morning, miss," he says, confused.

I look up at the sky, and, sure enough, through the brambles I can see the reddish glint of sunlight. Huh. I guess I stayed up all night. Yet I'm not tired...

The elf man leads the way to Arya's study, my guard trailing behind me. Once inside, I see two chairs set up in front of a table with a single, ornate mirror resting on it. Through the mirror, I can see a perfect image of a seventeen-year-old guy with a giant blue eye behind him. The guy has messy brown hair and brown eyes with elfish features. Eragon. I'm momentarily fangirling in my mind as I walk over to the squashy chairs. Arya occupies one, so I take the other. She glances at me and says "Eragon, I'd like you to meet Sabrina. She's who I told you about..."

"Ah. Well met Sabrina." He says kindly.

I nod. The giant eye blinks at me. Understanding dawns upon me, and before I can stop myself, I blurt, "you must be Saphira then"

Eragon's eyes widen, but Saphira just looks amused. "Sabrina, I have heard much about you, and my curiosity has been piqued. Therefore, and both myself and Arya agree, I believe you should journey to the halls of the riders, where I can meet you in person. There, I can teach you swordplay and possibly magic. Are you agreeable to this arrangement?"

No. That's what I want to say. No thanks, I kinda just want to get this whole quest thing over with so I can go home. However, learning magic could help me with the quest...

While I'm thinking, my guard runs up to Arya and whispers something in her ear. Arya looks confused, then amazed, then she stares at me.

My guard must've told her about the sparring thing. Urg. Well, she'd figure it out at some point anyway. I nod my head like "go ahead, tell him" and she turns back to the mirror depicting a confused Eragon.

"Apparently, just this morning, Sabrina here defeated one of our strongest swordfighters, without ever having picked up a sword before!"

Eragon gawks at me. He looks rather like a fish out of water. Inwardly laughing, I shrug, like it's nothing. The great blue eye blinks again.

"So, what else can you do?" He asks heavily.

"Hmm well, ever since I got here, I've been able to read and speak the ancient language, though I've never been taught how and I couldn't when I was in my world."

I had succeeded in blowing his mind once again. Hehehe.

"Anything else?" He says weakly.

Arya butts in this time. "Well, for one, she can run as fast as an elf. Also, the spells of the Agaetí Blödhren didn't affect her."

"Hmmm. You can tell me more when I see you at the halls of the riders, Sabrina. That is, you are coming, right?" He sounds very anxious that I won't accept.

"Of course," I say firmly.

"Good," I can tell he's pleased. Then he begins to talk to Arya about preparations and I tune out. After they finish, an urgent voice calls, "Eragon!" We need you! Merna finally discovered her magic!"

Eragon grimaces and Arya says, "go" in a motherly sort of voice.

Eragon bids us farewell and walks off the mirror. Saphira stays for a second, blinks, sends a puff of smoke into the air, and follows her rider.

"So... That's Eragon," I say, "he's a pretty cool cat."

"Why would you compare him to a cat?and why would he be cold?" Asks Arya, confused.

"It's just an expression," I say laughing. "Hey you used to like him, didn't you? Like like him?"

"Maybe... But it couldn't be. Come, we must prepare for your departure."

She walks off and I have to race to catch her. "When am I leaving? And how am I gonna get there?"

"In two days, and by dragon"

"Two days?!" I shriek.

"If you had listened to what Eragon had said, you would've been able to change the date." She replies scathingly. "Now go pick up these provisions..." She hands me a list and gives me directions.

"Can you repeat those? A bit slower this time?"

"No. Go!"

I huff and start on my merry way through the twisting, stupid halls. Stupid because every two feet, an elf stares at me creepily until I run off. I turn a corner and...

"Sweet! Elf free corridor!"

There's only one door down the hall. Hopefully it has provisions. It's locked. I'm dead curious now, so I whip out my trusty bobby pin. My super hearing allows me to pick the lock in about a minute and a half. I cautiously open the door and see a wall lined with glittering shapes of all sizes. I move closer and gasp.

Dragon eggs.