Chapter 5

"Those kids bully her, and the foster parents do nothing about it!" Reid exclaimed.

Morgan and Reid were in the car, discussing what had just happened at the foster house. Reid was frustrated about Natalie's living situation and wanted to do something about it.

"It's really not our business kid," Morgan sighed.

"So, you're okay with it?" Reid asked.

"Of course I'm not, but we're here to catch a serial killer!" Derek exclaimed. He approached a red light and slowed the car down. "If you're so concerned with this girl, then do your own research man,"

"Maybe I will,"

----

Natalie walked down the steps of her foster home, only to be greeted by Marissa, "I'm going out,"

"Where?" Marissa asked.

Natalie shrugged, "For a walk,"

"Be home by ten," Marissa smiled, and let Natalie by.

The cool air outside hit Natalie in the face. As she walked, Natalie noticed how the rest of the world seemed to live. No one had a clue what was going on behind closed doors in their small town, or no one cared. Four people were dead and the only suspect the FBI had was Natalie. It made her wonder what kind of terrible luck she always seemed to have. 

Three years without her parents and Natalie's mental state wasn't getting any better. Everyone knew she was obsessed with finding out what happened to them, but she was the only one who believed they weren't dead. It was the impossible thing that made Natalie most alone in this world. 

"You know, most innocent people we come across don't just waltz around town looking all sad and stuff," a small voice from behind startled Natalie. The man in the distance walked closer, revealing himself to be the FBI agent from before, Spencer Reid. "Relax, I just wanna talk,"

"What do you want?" Natalie sighed, "I already answered all your questions,"

"Well, I have another one," Spencer began. He walked a little closer to Natalie and put his hand on her shoulder. "How'd you know that I knew about your parents?"

"What?"

"I said I was sorry about the kids bullying you before and you mentioned your parents right after," Spencer said, now crossing his arms. "How'd you know I knew?"

"You saw the picture of them and I just assumed, I don't know," Natalie replied.

"You do know though, you know a lot more than you're willing to admit," Spencer said.

"I know it's crazy that you just randomly appear on the street and start asking me weird questions!" Natalie exclaimed. 

"I'm trying to make a point! You're a genius and you're trying to act like you're normal, Natalie. I have a whole office of police detectives and FBI agents that think you have something to do with this murder. You can prove them wrong! You can prove them wrong because you can help us figure out who did this," Spencer said desperately.

"No," Natalie said simply. 

As Natalie began to walk away, Spencer cleared his throat. "Then you have to understand why I need to bring you down to the station,"

"You're arresting me?" Natalie asked.

Spencer didn't react. "I don't want to put handcuffs on you and make a scene, so let's go,"

Natalie trailed behind Spencer to a dark SUV that had Agent Morgan sitting in the driver's seat. "I have a ten o'clock curfew,"

"Well, tonight you're breaking it," Morgan said, putting the car in drive.