Chapter 12

Spencer and Natalie sat in the principal's office of Roosevelt High. The office belonged to a woman named Dr. Jessica Bernard, a woman who graduated from Yale. Judging by the several books regarding law, and the several college debate team awards sitting on the windowsill, Dr. Bernard really wanted to be a lawyer. It doesn't seem like she ever made it far enough into law school in order to even take the Bar.

Dr. Bernard entered the office, wearing attire that belonged in a courtroom, not a school. It wasn't that it was inappropriate to wear at school, she was just definitely overdressed. As she sat down, she fixed her pencil skirt, and pushed her glasses from her nose closer to her eyes. She locked eyes with Natalie, and then looked towards Spencer.

"You don't look like her father," she said.

Spencer shook his head, "I'm not, but I am her legal guardian,"

"How old are you?"

"28."

Natalie automatically got a bad vibe off of this woman. It was clear that she was a cocky, know-it-all, and that she thought she was better than being a principal for a public high school. This woman definitely felt undermined by a man of Reid's age sitting across from her with three PhD's. 

"So, you said you were going to show me around the school a bit," Natalie interjected.

Dr. Bernard stood up again, and picked up the file of information Spencer had to fill out when he registered Natalie. It also included her schedule for the rest of the year. 

"Of course," Dr. Bernard showed a quick smile, as she stood up. Again, she fixed her pencil skirt and motioned for the two geniuses to follow her. As they to up, she continued, "Natalie, you're registered as a sophomore, but you're taking quite a few classes meant for seniors. Are you sure that's what you want?"

"Yes ma'am, I have no problem taking more advanced classes at all," 

"Okay then," the principal said, making sure to drag out the 'O'.

They walked down the hallway where the main office was located. It was brightly lit, which made sense considering it was located right at the front of the building. In general, the school wasn't that big, it was definitely smaller than the one she used to go to. As they turned the corner, the demeanor of the school changed. The lights were dimmer, and it was more clear about how strict the rules were when they didn't encounter a single student lurking in the hallways.

Dr. Bernard pointed out where Natalie's classes were located. That was definitely going to be helpful once she started school. Noticeably, class sizes weren't that big. It was like parents were taking their kids out of this school.

"There's a high concentration of private schools in the area, in case you're wondering why our classes are so small," she quickly remarked, taking note of Natalie's facial expressions when looking into classrooms.

Spencer scoffed at this remark, knowing that wasn't true at all, but before he could say anything, his phone began to ring. He gave a quick 'I'm sorry', and answered the phone, "Hey, what's up?"

Natalie watched as he frowned, and hung up the phone. "Case?" she asked.

"Unfortunately. We should get going Natalie," he said.

"Where exactly do you work?" Dr. Bernard asked.

"The Behavior Analysis Unit of the FBI, why?"

Dr. Bernard glared at him, "And how exactly does someone like," she looked Reid up and down, judging his physique, "you got a job with the FBI?"

Natalie couldn't help but let out a laugh. This woman clearly thought someone wronged her in law school. Yet, she still gave up before she became a lawyer, and still thought she was better than every one else.

"We study behavior, and I have three PhD's which you already knew," Spencer stated, crossing his arms. "And maybe don't judge me by how I look, when you clearly think you belong in a courtroom. Again, I study behavior. You never made it far enough into law school to even qualify to take the bar."

Natalie quickly grabbed Spencer and gave a quick smile to the principal before leaving. There was no reason for her to treat Spencer like that, but his reaction was definitely going to be a problem. The first few weeks at school were going to be a living hell for Natalie.

---

Spencer was getting his things together for his go-bag before he went to the briefing. Hotch already knew that he was going to be late, but now he was super late. He ran into the living room, and grabbed his lucky American flag pin. Pinning it to his tie, he noticed Natalie glancing at him.

"If I'm not back by tomorrow night, call me to tell me how your first day went. And make sure you go to Garcia after school. It's not that I don't trust you to be alone, it's just so I know you're okay," Spencer smiled.

"Sure."

"I'm sorry about what I said to Dr. Bernard before. She was kinda uptight though don't you think?"

This comment received a reaction from Natalie, she laughed.

"I'll see you soon," he said, heading out the door. 

"Be careful!" Natalie called out as the door closed.