Chapter 20

Confusion was the first thing to wash over Natalie's mind. She wasn't at all mad at Spencer, she was more relieved to see that maybe someone was on her side. As much as she appreciated Ray, he only wanted her to move on, and he genuinely believed Natalie's parents were dead. 

Without thinking, Natalie found herself dialing Ray's number. It had been quite a while since she'd spoken to him, and if there was ever a good time to do it, now was it. Obviously, she wanted to know if Spencer talked to him yet, but maybe it would be nice to talk to Ray again.

The phone rang for a moment before a voice came through the speaker, "Long time no talk, kiddo," Ray said.

"Hi Ray." 

"What's new down there in FBI land?" he asked.

Natalie sighed, there was only one thing on her mind at this point. This part of phone conversations was the worst. Small talk was extremely uncomfortable, especially with someone who she hasn't talked to in a long time. "Everything's pretty much the same, though I am in the middle of my first year at college, while also being a sophomore in high school,"

"I'm impressed, but definitely not surprised," he laughed.

"Yeah, things are nice here..." Natalie's voice sort of trailed off.

"Alright, I'll cut the small talk. You wanna know what Dr. Reid called me about,"

For a moment, Natalie hesitated, but then she replied, "Yeah, I do,"

"He asked about your parent's case," Ray never lied to Natalie. Just as he's doing now, he always told her the truth about anything going on with the case. When he told Natalie that her parents were being pronounced dead, he spared no detail. There was no point in lying to a girl as smart as she was because she somehow figures everything out. That was a detail that Ray learned very quickly.

"What did he ask?" Natalie leaned forward in Spencer's chair and looked at the note Spencer left himself again. Knowing what a neat freak Spencer could be, she didn't touch it. 

Ray paused, and thought carefully before he came up with a proper answer. "Just about my findings, and I told him I would send over my personal notes,"

"Right... but-"

"Natalie." Ray stopped her before she could ask more questions, "Don't do this to yourself,"

"Do what?"

"I know you... you desperately want them to be alive," Ray began. "Natalie, you don't want closure. You want to hear someone confirm that you've been right all along. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's going to happen... and even if it does. What happens then?"

At the bottom of her heart, Natalie knew Ray was right. She would have no idea what to do if they were actually alive, and admittedly, that was the only ending she was ready to accept. The only problem was that she couldn't stop herself from digging more and more into this case. 

"Natalie," Ray said, not hearing a reply from her.

"You're right, but I just... I need to know Ray," Natalie said, holding back tears.

"Well, you know everything that I know kid. Look, it's getting late. Go get some rest, and talk to that Dr. Reid of yours tomorrow. It was good to hear from you,"

"Yeah, I'll try. Good night," Natalie pulled the phone away from her ear, and clicked the 'End Call' button. It was definitely time for Natalie to go home, but she didn't want to walk back alone. So, she decided it would be best to go back to Garcia's office for the remainder of the night.