Chapter 6

"I don't get this, I'm supposed to be under arrest but I'm sitting at a desk with a cup of tea instead of an interrogation room with some person asking me questions," Natalie was sitting in the local precinct across from Spencer Reid. She picked up the mug full of the hot leaf water and took a sip. It reminded her of what was once the worst day of her life; the night her parents went missing. She sat at a desk similar to this with a cup of tea made to calm her down.

"Piecing it together yet?" Spencer asked. He watched Natalie put her tea down and lean back.

"Let me guess, you're trying to get me to freak and tell you everything about my parents. How I felt and all that jazz, am I wrong?" Natalie questioned.

Spencer shrugged, "You're kinda infamous around here, these detectives really don't like you,"

"They cared at one point, but people move on. It's not that they don't like me, they just got annoyed after a while," Natalie said.

"Tell me more about your theory about someone getting mad over grades," said Spencer who stood up to grab a few files.

"That's all it is though, a theory,"

"What do you think we do here as profilers? We get called in when there's not enough evidence. Profiles can be wrong, just like theories can be wrong," Spencer handed the file with the first murder.

Natalie flinched, "Mr. Smith,"

"He was your chemistry teacher,"

Natalie nodded and closed the file, not wanting to look at is any longer. "How am I supposed to help you with this case?" she asked.

"Well considering you were the whole precinct's first suspect, I'd say you can help us prove you didn't do this. Also, you go to the school which means you have first hand knowledge about all the kids there," Spencer replied.

"Basically," JJ approached the two geniuses, "You can tell us all the different cliques in your school,"

Natalie nodded, "I still think this is someone angry over grades, that's how you know I didn't do it. I purposely flunk half the time,"

"That isn't exactly accurate, a football player was murdered too. Explain that," Spencer said.

"Spence, can we talk with the team for a moment," JJ nudged Spencer to come with her.

Spencer nodded and followed JJ to a separate room. The team wasn't in the room, leaving Spencer slightly confused.

JJ crossed her arms, "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm getting Natalie to help us," Spencer said.

"Oh come on Spence! We all know she isn't responsible for these murders, we can't keep her here,"

"She doesn't have to know that," Spencer shrugged.

JJ rolled her eyes and opened the door of the room they were in. She followed Reid out to the main area of the precinct.

There, Natalie was sitting, pondering how she could explain a new idea she had about the murders. Three teacher were dead, along with the quarterback. It had to be someone who cared about their grades too much, someone who didn't like the quarterback. An almost insane thought went through Natalie's head, she called out to Spencer and JJ. "What if we're not looking for some weird loner kid that's really smart," she suggested.

"Well, that's not vague at all," Spencer said sarcastically.

"I think you're looking for another football player," Natalie began.

JJ and Spencer looked at each other confused.

"Then why was the quarterback murdered?" JJ asked.

"Can I have my phone?" Natalie asked.

Spencer nodded and grabbed it from her things, he handed it to her with reluctance. "What do you need it for,"

"Just because I'm miserable around here doesn't mean I'm a loner, I have Instagram," Natalie said, pulling up the Instagram of the dead quarterback. She handed it to JJ, "He got a full ride to a division one school and we're only juniors,"

"You're point?" Spencer crossed his arms.

"No football team has one quarterback. So, if whoever his substitute in the game is has a lot of B's in his grade book, I'd say that's your murderer," Natalie said.

"It makes sense," Spencer turned to JJ, putting a finger just below his lips. "Our unsub went dormant after the quarterback was killed. What if he was the target all along?"

"I'll call Garcia," JJ smiled.

Spencer turned to Natalie and smiled. "I told you you knew more than you were willing to admit,"

Natalie's laugh faded quickly as she looked again at the desk she was sitting in. "This is Detective Miller's desk. He was the lead detective on my parents case," she said.

It was what seemed like the longest day of Natalie's life. Her parents went missing the night before and she didn't think anything of it at first. They went out that night for their anniversary and she figured they'd be late. It wasn't surprising that when she got home at ten that they weren't back yet.

She woke up the next morning and they were still gone. It was when they didn't answer the twenty or so text messages she sent, that she thought to call. When she called, their phone's went straight to voicemail. Finally, she went to the local police precinct, not knowing anywhere else to go.

They went out that night for their anniversary and she figured they'd be late.

Now, they were three years late and Natalie was still waiting, even if everyone stopped.

"I came here every single day after they gave up on looking," Natalie said.

"Well, you never got closure. No one could expect you to move on," Spencer said, squatting down in front of Natalie. He put his hand on her knee and smiled. "You were a big help today,"

"Thanks," Natalie smiled.

"Can I tell you something?" Spencer asked.

Natalie nodded.

"When I was ten, my dad walked out on my mom and I. I had to grow up really fast because my mom had schizophrenia, and I had to take care of her. So, I get that feeling you were talking about before of being alone," Spencer said.

"Are you trying to one up me?" Natalie asked jokingly.

Spencer laughed, "I guess a part of me sees myself in you,"

"That's really nice to hear," Natalie said.

"Tell you what," Spencer said standing up. "I'll drive you home and explain to your foster parents myself, why you broke curfew,"

"That would be a life saver,"