Chapter 17

By the end of the day, Natalie learned a lot about Spencer's life. There were some moments he mentioned that were concerning, but the stories he told about his mother were beautiful. It was clear he adapted his love of reading from his mother. She hoped it was something he would be willing to pass on to her. 

They were back at the apartment getting ready to eat dinner. Clearly from the fiasco in the morning, Spencer was not the best cook. So, Natalie agreed to make dinner for the two of them. A strong smell of garlic made its way through the living area while Spencer was looking over a few case files.

"Garlic?" he asked, noticing the strong smell.

"Pasta sauce!" Natalie yelled through the kitchen. Putting the pot on a low simmer to sit for about an hour, Natalie left the kitchen, and noticed Spencer looking intently at the files in front of him. "You think you're gonna get a case?" she asked.

Spencer glanced up from the file, and shook his head, "Just looking over a couple local cold cases," he lied. Well, he half-lied. Truthfully, this was a cold case he was looking at, but not one that he wanted to show Natalie quite yet. It was one of the files on her parents. He figured that it could't hurt to look over the case a little bit.

"Right... dinner's gonna be ready in an hour," Natalie replied. For a moment, she watched him put the file down. It was obvious he didn't want her to see what was on the inside so, she chose not to press the issue. After an awkward moment of silence, Natalie walked over to the couch, and grabbed the book she left there.

It wasn't long before she got distracted, and put the book down. She pulled out her laptop, and started searching through websites looking at clothes... clothes that she definitely couldn't afford not making any money. It wasn't like Natalie didn't want a job, she had only been in Virginia for a couple months now, and there just wasn't any time to look for one. Besides, she hated working in the food industry, and most jobs that hire fifteen year olds were food related jobs.

"Spencer?" she called across the room.

Spencer looked up from the book he was flying through, "What's up?"

"Do you know any jobs that are hiring?" she asked.

After thinking for a moment, the only thing that could come to mind was the coffee shop down the road from the office. "You know that place I like? Pete's?"

Shaking her head, Natalie put her computer on the coffee table, "I'm not working at a coffee shop,"

"You don't need a job anyway," Spencer narrowed his eyes. They were peering over his glasses that he only seemed to wear occasionally. It was almost as if he wore them for fashion sometimes. He closed his book, and placed it on his desk. "If you need anything, just tell me,"

Natalie smiled, and rolled her eyes, "I appreciate that, but I'm not gonna do that to you. I like making my own money, and buying my own things. Besides, you already do enough,"

"That's my job Natalie," Spencer said. "But, maybe I could talk to Hotch and get you a job down at the office?"

Natalie almost jumped over the back of the couch. Working in the FBI office would be perfect. It would give her connections for the future when she needed internships, and good references. "Doing what?"

"You spend a decent amount of time with Garcia. So, maybe some kind of assistant. They hire people like that all the time," he replied.

Satisfied with his answer, Natalie smiled, and went back to looking at clothes on her computer. Hopefully, Hotch could get her that job. It would definitely be a nice alternative to sitting around at home all day when Spencer wasn't there. 

Sorry this is so short! :( I have an idea in my head of where this is going that's different from when I started a couple years ago. So, this is kind of a filler to lead it in that direction. Thanks for reading, and please don't hesitate to comment! I love reading everyone's comments <333