Forty Five

I stared at my surroundings, never believing in a million years that I'd be sitting in a five star restaurant with Zayn. This just all seemed so wrong and out of place. Seeing him in a suit looking all high and mighty was never something I could picture. It was almost as though I were in some sort of weird dream really. Or, maybe, life just decided to give him and I some good luck.

"This is crazy..." I said suddenly breaking the silence that had settled between us. He hadn't seem to mind the silence from before because all he did was stare at me with this look in his eye. Like he still couldn't believe I came back to him.

Zayn smiled slightly as he fiddled with the silverware in front of him.

"Believe me, I know."

I bit my lip, my eyes continuing to scan every surface of his body. I had been deprived of his presence for too long and now that he was here I was going to take advantage of it.

"You look so good Zayn." I blurted, my cheeks darkening the moment it slipped.

He bit his lip, his eyes shining brightly just like they used to.

"I could say the same for you." he replied.

I quickly shook my head, waving off his comment. "I'm serious, you really do."

"Thank you Elizabeth." he said almost shyly as he glanced down at his hands.

"So," I cleared my throat, "tell me what you've been doing these past two years."

He sat up a bit taller and leaned forward a bit.

"Well, after the book was published I kind of just took advantage of the money I was making and decided to travel around a bit. Nothing too grand, just little towns and cities around the country. I was bored and wanted to explore what was out there. Eventually I moved out to Boston Massachusetts where I bought myself a pretty nice place." he explained, his eyes glancing from me to the table every so often.

"My lifestyle is so different now. I can't even explain how overwhelmed I felt at first." he added quietly as he pursed his lips.

I nodded in understanding, "Yeah I bet."

The mention of the money and different lifestyle made me uncomfortable. All I could think, or should I say hear, were Harry's words pounding in my brain.

I pushed my hair behind my ear nervously, "The book, it uh, it's about us isn't it?"

My voice was quiet and hesitant and I knew my face was probably as red as a ripe tomato.

Zayn's own face grew red at my question.

He quickly nodded and looked down at his fumbling fingers.

"Yeah, I changed our names though...and added a bit more drama." he explained in one breath.

I nodded and looked around to see if our waiter was coming with our food yet.

"Lots of women love it." he added.

I chuckled, "I bet."

A small part of me didn't enjoy the fact that a whole bunch of people knew about us. About our story. I didn't like that they had gotten a glimpse of our private life.

 I mentally scolded myself for being so bitter and remembered that he had changed the names and added some stuff so it wasn't exactly our story. But still.

We both sat silently for a moment, both uncertain as to where this conversation should go next.

"What have been up to these last two years besides going to school?" he asked eagerly as he leaned forward.