Chapter Nine: The Feast of Steel

The day was spent preparing for the festival, and the lead-up to the feast was exciting for all the people of Blackfield. Lord Yorod personally saw to the distribution of food all around the taverns and Inns. It was a feast that the whole town was to partake in. The streets were alive with the smell of meat, fruits, veggies, and wine. The Userians brought up from the south all types of exotic foods; legs of foreign game, drinks from strange plants that few north of Noor ever saw, let alone tasted. Much of this brought up by the prestigious caravans of Arhan Saud.

Counted among the richest men in Usyeria and possibly the whole world, Mr. Saud has made the journey from his homeland to the Soot City every year for the festival. His presence is a delight and nuisance for the people of Blackfield. In his caravans he brings goods found no where in the Kingdom. However the natural reputation of the Usyerians and the sometimes erratic behavior of his guards and carriers makes some look the other way. Despite this, his coming is a tradition of the Festival of Steel and he is an honored guest at the feast, dining with Lord Dayvey almost every year.

The honored guests began to congregate in the great dining hall of Castle Blackfield around when the last glimmer of the sun began to sink over the distant peaks of Runthinbore. The great mountains in the west were always so visible on the first night of the festival. The feast itself would begin when the last light of the sun would disappear, when the people of Blackfield say the first sword ever made at the Yanton Forge was completed. Primir; the Sword of Champions still graced the Castle with its presence but was never used in combat anymore. Lord and Lady Dayvey with all their children were happily greeting guests as everyone took their seats. The great dining hall had four long tables that reached nearly all the way across the length, each side able to seat a hundred people, while the most important guests sat in a semi-circular table at the far end, which faced the other tables. Among those who took their seats here was the Dayvey family, Prince Tauron, Jon Malken, Ulysses Cassius, Arhan Saud, Helg Velrock, Bartera Noc and the rest of Prince Tauron's entourage. 

It had been years since he had seen his old friend. Tauron did not see Helg much since he became an instructor at the school. He was the one, besides his family and mentor who made him feel not so utterly alone. The Prince had taken his seat first. In front of him a feast that made his eyes water. He glanced over at Noc, who was sitting at the end and keeping awfully quiet as the most important citizens and visitors to Blackfield took their seats. Arhan Saud sat directly to the left of the Dayvey family and was entertaining Landon. Saud was famed even in Anthre, Tauron always was interested in meeting him. His uncle Arnos met with him on numerous occasions, and described him as a man whom one would be delighted to meet, as long as one hand was kept on the coin purse.

Helg had still not arrived. The last glimmers of the sun were going over the mountains and his old friend was still to be seen. As he was waiting, he heard a strange accent call his name. Mr. Saud was calling him, wanting to make friends with the royal family.

"Prince Tauron of the Heflite Family, I presume," he said, his mustache stretched wider than his head.

"Yes, I am Prince Tauron," he stood up and courteously bowed to his southern neighbor. Saud was a big man; this became clear to Tauron when he pushed back from the table and stood up to meet him. He was not round, but built like a mountain, with a thick body, but a rather small point for a head. He was dressed in lavish gold and bronze fabrics and scarves and his beard was braided all the way down to his waste with yellow bows holding them together. 

"Some call you the Sorcerer Prince," he said, "I personally have never met a sorcerer. At least none that I know of."

Tauron loathed that name, "I am honored to meet you Mr. Saud."

Saud tromped over and shook the Prince's had fervently, "The honor is all mine, Sorcerer Prince. It is not often the royal family partakes in the festival of Steel."