Chapter Twenty Two: Family Reunion

Jergan and his companions were approaching the castle. Somehow he remembered Carell Keep to be bigger. But it had close to five years since he has been home, and in that time his spurt had happened and he finally began to gain height on Locke and Gor. Other than that, there was no difference from what he remembered when he last looked back on the way to the School. The Castle was it's own dark grey which Eliza remarked made it look quite uninviting. It was in the shape of a triangle with a tower at each end. Road that brought them here went past it and a smaller path led through the town to the gates. Atop the tower flew the Shield and the Hammer, swearing Carell Keep's loyalty to Blackfield.

The town had not changed much either. When he walked into the courtyard, Jergan saw many faces he knew as a child. Friends he had grown up with had become men and women and a few even had a child in their arms. He wanted to say hello, but he did not know if his father would approve of a graduate of the School of Chivalry fraternizing so freely with the common folk. Besides, many of them probably would not even recognize him. But he heard one voice that he did recognize.

"Jergan Fallaner!" approached his uncle Horace. Horace was built tall and fit like his brother, but his face was younger, brighter and less rigid.

"Uncle Horace!" Jergan exclaimed as they embraced.

They let go and uncle gave him a good slug on the shoulder, as he often did when he was a boy, "By Rannos you have been growing . You look strong, laddy!"

"Thank you, uncle! You look great too!"

"Oh, thanks Jerri. But sadly I think I'm beginning to grey. Just like your father," he said laughing. Jergan managed a smile but he did not laugh.

"You must be Horace Fallaner," Eliza approached along with their other friends.

"And who are you, my Lady," it was clear in his eyes that a lady in armor was not a common sight in Rushka.

"Elora, daughter of Markus of South Keep."

Horace's eyes widened, "You're the daughter of the Duke of Southkeep? Markus Eleanor?"

"I am, my Lord."

Horace went to his knee and presented himself properly, "Allow me to welcome you to Carell Keep, Lady Elora."

"Your kindness is most appreciated, Lord Horace."

"I'm no Lord, my Lady. I just look after my brother."

"Well, just to get the shock out of the way, Sir Horace," Gor stepped beside Elora, "I am Gor Velrock, son of Archduke Amos Velrock."

Horace laughed, "By the Gods, Jergan. Next you're gonna tell me that you're marrying Lord Dayvey's daughter!"

"That would be the Prince, uncle."

"Yes, but he has another," Horace winked to him and tapped his elbow on his waist, "And who are the rest of you fine fellows."

"I'm Bartheyis, of House Brunowil."

"Pleasure," Horace shook hands with all of them.

"Jon Maverick, of H-house..." Jon stuttered.

"Maverick?" Horace guessed with a smile.

"Yes," Jon turned red but Horace gave him a good laugh and patted him on the back. He then turned to the big knight standing last in line.

"I'm Locke, of House Horcaster," he said proudly as he stuck out his hand.

Horace did not shake, only looked at him with a glare that terrifyingly resembled his brother, "Horcaster," he said coldly as he spat at Locke's feet.