Chapter Nineteen: Unlikely Allies

Castle Blackfield was in quite a state of lawlessness after the arrest of the wounded Baldrick Gaule. Captain Noc and twenty Brukalil soldiers infiltrated the Healer's ward and took the heir to Toad Keep away on a stretcher. Luckily, Baldrick's ten guards knew better than to try to cross swords with the legendary Brukalil. The finest foot soldiers from around the kingdom all in one highly trained unit, second only to the knights for their skill in battle. Many considered them better soldiers than knights. Though they protested, they stepped aside when Bartera the Terror drew her large, single-bladed blade.

Prince Tauron's order to detain the son of Desmond Gaule made everyone fear the city would break out in fighting. A good portion of the visitors to the Festival of Steel were from the swamplands, and if there was one thing they liked to do, it was fight. And there were several. A crowd of fifty charged the Brukalil soldiers defending the tower where Baldrick was held, resulting in three dead and sixteen injured. Two of the injured were Brukalil soldiers.

Later in the day, they charged again, this time it was ten dead and ten injured. With the body count rising, Prince Tauron ordered a curfew, and for Baldrick to be moved to a location inside Castle Blackfield itself. That did not stop the Swampland folk from gathering in a big group around dusk and going on a rampage through the town. Inns were torched, animals let loose or slaughtered. Nearly a third of Blackfield village was either damaged or burnt by the time the first night was over. And the next day, smoke rose above Soot City in places other than the forges.

"You've unleashed hell on Blackfield!" Helg Velrock shouted at Prince Tauron after he had been given a report of the damage, "You've turned a time of festivities into a riot!"

"I did what I had to do."

"What you had to do? What exactly warranted kidnapping Baldrick? Do you have no idea how much the Swamp people adore him. They love him more than his father!"

"That does not sound like much."

"And now you expect Lord Desmond Gaule to just march with you to Raingaurd is that right?"

"Yes, it is," Tauron spoke plainly, as if it were just another day.

"Your father will be furious! My father will be furious! Everyone will be furious at you!" Helg exclaimed, "I'm furious with you! I was going to come and congratulate you on your wedding, but this! Now I doubt Lord Dayvey will hand over his daughter to you."

"He will. You know him. He'd die to have royal grandchildren. Besides this will all die down when we march. We'll defeat the Morcars, I'll release Baldrick, and I'll marry Lisa Dayvey. Not much to it, old friend."

"Not much to it?" Helg said, "Desmond Gaule is an Archbaron! One of the most powerful men in Forthren if not all of Liticea!"

"I'm aware of that, my father taught countless lessons."

"You know," Helg gave up, "Do as you please. You want to squander your campaign, go right ahead."

Many eyes and blades were aimed towards Julius the Black as he rode into the Userian encampment. They all recognized the black sun of the man who had defeated their leader. Clearly the riots of the previous day had gotten them scared, for they were nearly half a mile outside the village and there were many guards on their camp's perimeter. A horseman came to meet him, with a long spear and a look in the eye to match. Judging by the man's bright red robes and feathered collar he was a man of great importance in this company.

"Where does the Black Sun go?" he spoke to Julius with a heavy accent that somehow made him sound both dim-witted and threatening.

"I want to speak with Nazeen. On behalf of Prince Tauron, heir to the King of Liticea and all her holdings," Julius said loudly so that all around could hear.