Chapter Twenty-Six: Father and Son

Another night passed and Jergan awoke from his dreadfully uncomfortable camp bed, which was just a sheet held up with two sticks tied together on each end. It rocked back and forth and almost gave out under him as he struggled out of bed. The beds back at the school of Chivalry were looking better every morning. He swerved his neck to the right and letting a good crack out. Standing up, all the stiff joints in his back cried out. It was relieving but he had been doing that every morning and his bones felt like they were tangled in twine.

It was now three days on the road to Anton and they would not reach it for at least a week. Every morning, Rengle got up before Jergan, and slipped out to meet with the Prince. He never awoke the young knight, even though he slept just on the other end of the tent. Jergan got on his morning cloths after he had washed himself and shaved. His whiskers hardly grew in more than scattered patches so he preferred to go clean-shaven. He did not have the thick facial hair of his father, but rather the patches of his grandfather. Juracles Brittenford was also a short man, so Jergan wondered if he had inherited those traits from his mother. It was easy to see when his father and uncle were towering over him.

The tent that he and his father stayed in was just big enough for a Baron. Lord Rengle chose not to indulge himself or his family with the unnecessary pleasantries that others of his rank might desire. He never threw great balls, did not walk around with a diamond-encrusted codpiece and saw no reason why he should bring a caravan to carry his stuff. Lord Yorod Dayvey the Fourth apparent saw reason. Nearly twenty carriages trailed the army, carrying food, cloths and some of his friends.

As far back as Jergan could remember, Rengle Fallaner and Yorod Davey have been at odds. His father tells him that it began during the Corasian War, during the greatest battle of the war; the Siege of Brother's Crossing, the homeland of the Heflite family. It was a six-month-long siege that could have lost Liticea the war. The Corasian army had attempted to encircle the city, and to do so they had to take a keep that stood just outside the city. This keep would be vital as it provided a base for the Litici forces to attack and would be difficult and costly to take. Lord Yorod Davey the third sent his son to capture it, and one of those under his command was Rengle Fallaner. They took the keep, and Yorod foolishly tried to march his forces out and attack the Corasians lines. Rengle was the only one who refused to go. of the One thousand seven hundred men that Yorod marched out, only half returned, and had the Corasians trailing them. Fortunately, Rengle and his men were able to defend the keep against wave after wave of attack. They held out until help arrived and thus prevented the city from being encircled and starved.

Though Yorod was the one commanding, everyone gives credit of the victory to Rengle. He was even recognized by Duke Arnos Heflite, and given the name 'Iron Wall,' which the tavern in Ruska is named after. To this day, Yorod has despised that fact and blames Rengle for not marching his troops out of the keep and raiding the Corasian lines, and considers him to be disobedient and a coward.

Jergan will try his best to stay out of the conflict, but he fears what may be in store for House Fallaner when Yorod becomes Duke. Yorod is already a foolish, simple-minded man but giving him the power that his father has will be a nightmare. Everyone in Liticea knows of King Brunos Lanray, also known as the Clown King. A drooling, droopy, frail-minded man who nearly destroyed the whole country with his idiocy. Will Yorod IV become the clown of Forthren?

Breakfast was a meal of eggs and bacon. Once again his father was not there to greet him. He ate with Sir Argus and a few captains. All appeared to be bright and alert while Jergan was still groggy from struggling in that basket they call a bet. They were all experienced soldiers, in fact Sir Argus was there outside the walls of Brother's Crossing. He too was wise enough to stay in the keep.