Chapter Forty-Seven: Dealing with the New Enemy

Prince Tauron overturned the table when he learned of the treachery at Redstone. After Lord Clayton was taken prisoner, the thousands of troops under his command were rounded up and taken. It i said that it occurred with only minor blood spilt, but Tauron now lost a quarter of his army and a new enemy behind his lines.

Helg, Gor and Julius were among the few that escaped and made their way to Rainguard, they managed to fight their way to their horses and ride away. They said Olsen Ryd has about four thousand men loyal to him and now plans to march two thousand of them to Talonwood and attack Rengle Fallaner's rear. The Lord of Ruska would see them and believe them to be the reinforcements he asked for and welcome them. They will most likely try to take Rengle, his son and any others prisoner. The escapees from Redstone Keep said that they do not wish to spill blood.

Upon hearing the news, Tauron sent out his fastest rider and convened his war council. Among them was the distraught Lord Nicholi. The news of the betrayal also brought the news of his grandson. Inside Duke Horith's council chambers, what remained of Tauron's host came together to discuss what to do next. Many of the Lords, including Lord Nicholas were calling for the army to march south and put Olsen's head on a spike. But to do so would take at least ten thousand men, and the toll on them taking the Keep would be monstrous.

"We cannot let this crime go unpunished!" Lord Gramman exclaimed, "That murderer has usurped his father and pledged himself to the enemy! He must die!"

"Calm yourself, Lord Nicholi," Tauron replied, "We have few men to spare. I want vengeance as much as you do but we don't have the time or the power to do so."

"We have to do something, my Prince," said Bertrand Oaran. The Oaran army now constituted the largest percentage of the Princes army. If Bertrand got captured, the war effort would be lost, "I volunteer to go. Give me five thousand and I can root these traitors out of their hole!"

"This isn't one of your stone prisons, you fool," the stringy figure of Horith Ryden entered the room, flanked by his two sons. It was the first time any of them had seen him since the feast on the first night. Since then, his son James has spoken for him while he remained in his chambers, "Redstone is even older than Rainguard. It's fortifications have stood since the time of the First Empire, and Olsen's ancestors have only made it stronger. If you send five thousand men, he will return to you five thousand corpses," he said almost proudly.

"I don't know if you understand the situation, Lord Horith."

"I understand it perfectly well: you eastern fools managed to lose half your army and allowed the enemy to take a position right in front of us. It's so pathetic that I find it quite humorous."

"You insolent bastard!" Oaran shouted as he stood up and threw his chair to the side. Killian Ryden's hand prepared his warhammer for drawing.

"Bertrand Oaran, sit down at once," Nicholi shouted.

"Oh, the son of fat Balter Oaran. I thought I saw some resemblance," Horith laughed to himself, "And Lord Nicholi, heard you lost your grandson. Never put your family in the care of others. I swear by Rathas himself, you Eastlanders have no common sense."

A battle would have broken out in that conference room if the Prince did not step in and command his men to hold back. Deep down, from his experiences he had to agree somewhat with Lord Horith. Men just could not control their tempers.

"If Olsen is smart, he'll be marching to Talonwood. I've already sent riders to warn Lord Rengle."

"What will you have him do?"

"Return here, along with the Userians," Tauron took in a breath, "We're going to have to make our stand here. At Rainguard. We'll just have to hope that my father will arrive in the Westland in time to relieve us. Until then, this is where our fates will be decided."