Chapter Forty-Eight: Katelyn Ryd

Two hours outside of Talonwood, the woods seemed threatening to Rengle's army. By now they had all heard of Olsen Rydstone, the third son's treachery. It was not a bright day. Gray clouds blocked the sun from bringing its light and warmth to the Westland, leaving the air beneath the tops of the trees cold and dark. The shadows hid threats that every man in the army expected to jump out at them.

Ahead of the army, something did emerge from the shadows that startled some of the men. It was a company of horses, not large enough to threaten Rengle. A slow strut towards the Lord of Ruska let Rengle know that they meant no harm. One of the riders held a pole, and from it flew the Red Mountain of House Rydstone. These men were most likely loyal to Lord Olver and were now following his niece.

"Lord Rengle Fallaner?" the lead rider called.

Rengle sped up his horse to stand out more, "Yes. I am Rengle of Ruska. You carry the flag of House Redstone. Might I ask your name, sir?"

"Osbyrn Castyrbrack, Master of Arms at Castle Redstone," the leader was a large man, almost dwarfing his horse. On foot, he would no doubt tower over Sir Argus, and even the Horcaster boy.

"'Master of Arms at Rydstone?" Argus rode forth, "You're far from home."

"I managed to escape before the traitor's men could grab me."

"Who do you ride for now, carrying the Red Mountain?"

"I ride with Katelyn Ryd, Lord Oliver's niece. She sent me to retrieve you and bring you to our camp."

"Take us there. We have planning to do."

"Indeed, Lord Rengle."

Lady Ryd's camp lay about another hour's ride to the south. On this road, the very next day, Olsen's army would be here, making their way to Talonwood. Katelyn's camp was small. She probably had no more than three hundred loyal Rydstone soldiers at her disposal. Any others are being held prisoner along with Lord Olver and Archbaron Clayton. All the men that were outside the minor protection of their tents were either wrapped in blankets or their own arms and huddled together. Their breath visible enough to make it seem that the camp was littered with a hundred little geysers.

Outside a larger tent towards the center of the scattered collections of smaller ones, Katelyn Ryd awaited with another red-headed girl at her side. Rengle and Jergan followed Sir Osbourne to meet her while Nakbar and Sir Argus got their men settled for the night.

"Lady Katelyn, it's my pleasure to meet you, and I would like to thank you for the warning you sent me," the two men slide off their horses as two stable boys took their rides to a makeshift stable at the edge of the camp,"If you had not, I fear what would have become of Talonwood."

"And you, Rengle of Carell Keep, also have my gratitude for coming to my aid," she bowed her head and turned to her daughter, "My daughter, Katheryne Bryn."

"Lady Katheryne," Rengle could not help but notice the girl's eyes snapping from his son to him. He gave the boy an introduction too, "My son, Sir Jergan."

"My Lord. Sir," she greeted. She was a pretty face. Rengle's back was to Jergan but he was sure his son glanced once or twice at the redhead.

"Now, Lord Rengle," Lady Katelyn said courteously, "You must be tired from your day's ride. Won't you and Sir Jergan join me for a glass of wine? Grown in my mother-in-law's vineyards."

"Thank you for the invitation, but time is short. Olsen will be upon us in the morning and we must discuss our strategy."

"You want to discuss your strategy with me?" Katelyn shot Rengle a look as if he were an oaf, "I'm flattered."