Chapter Twenty-Four: The Iron Wall Inn

The Iron Wall was crowded that night. Not with just the residents of Rushka, but also the men from the army, among them was Terrell. Merric and Eve were busy watching the Prince at the feast and preparing for the long march to Anton tomorrow. Terrell got assigned to listen around town and he was glad about it. He needed some alone time, even in the middle of this hut they called an inn. After about a few drinks, the Innkeeper announced that the town's golden girl would be performing in just a few moments. Terrell was feeling frustration in his loins. It had been too long since he had stopped by a good pleasure house and he was too stupid to not take advantage of the Brandyhouse in Blackfield. It would be a long march to Anton, and not a single town or brothel along the way. Maybe he'll try coerce Eve into spending a night in bed, or one of the other broads in this army.

He disliked Rushka greatly. It was just a small shamble of huts and there was nowhere to go except this place. He guessed that all the whores ran off to the Brandyhouse or that Baron Rengle Fallaner was so uptight he could not tolerate a little fun in his town. Maybe this red girl the people can talk about could provide a little excitement.

For the hundredth time tonight, the doors to the Inn opened. This time there was a ring of applause from the townsfolks. He looked over and saw that it was the Baron's brother. His name was Horace judging by the name people greeted him with. Following him was lady Fallaner. Not a bad looking one just getting to the edge of aging. Horace raised his hands into the air and asked for silence.

"My friends, tonight we have a very special guest. Our little rascal has returned. Let us all welcome back," he reached out the door and grabbed hold of something, "My nephew, Jergan Fallaner!"

From the bumpkins that lived in this rut came a great cheer. Dozens of men and women got to their feet to embrace and welcome the runt back home. Terrell laughed. The kid looked like he was about to shit himself.

The rest of the soldiers looked on as Terrell did.

"I didn't expect such a warm welcome," Jergan said overwhelmed by the handshakes and back pats.

"Why not?" Horace asked, "Like I said you're our little rascal!"

"Jergan!" cried a voice that was familiar to Jergan. It was his old friend Kruger. Behind him were Wallis and Daren. All of whom he had grown up with, playing with sticks or running in the fields.

Jergan almost cried out when he saw them. He remembered their plush faces as kids, but he recognized them immediately. All were just as tall as him, but not as broad. Jergan was shoulder, but his strength was apparent in his large shoulders and thick arms.

"How are you?" Kruger asked as they all got in a group hug.

"I've become a knight!" Jergan said, "Sir Jergan Fallaner, guardian of Rushka."

Kruger put his arm around Jergan's shoulders, "Don't forget whenever you got yourself in danger, I got you out."

"You did not!" Jergan denied, still happy to see his friends.

"What danger?" Lady Jenni asked.

"Oh, pardon lady Jenni," Kruger gave her the proper bow, "When we were eight, we were running through the woods..."

"Kruger..."

"And this big dog comes out of nowhere and chases Jergan up a tree."

Lady Jenni thought it was funny and horrifying at the same time.

"And so I had to get two big sticks and chase it off. Even then it took him two hours to pack up the courage to come down."

"You've never told me that," Jenni said sternly to her son.