Chapter Twenty-Seven: Anton

The days went by as series of sleeping and marching patterns. In that time the plains were slowly beginning to change into patches of light wood. It was the first sign anyone would have of approaching the Great Forests of the Westland. The mountains grew bigger with each passing day, but Anton continued to elude their sights for another week.

One morning, eleven after they departed from Blackfield a black speck stood against the green landscape. It was Anton. In sight at long last to the relief of all the soldiers; Nobles, knights, and commoners alike. Prince Tauron ordered his war council to ride with him at the helm of the army. At the center he rode, and to his left was Nicholi, Martin, Clayton, Helg and Bartera. To his right was Jon Malken, the Dayvey brothers, the two Cassius', and Rengle. They all rode to meet the Lord of Anton.

Lord Balter Oaran was known for being a jumpy fellow. Anyone living between the Swamplands and the Westland would learn to be a little bit cautious, but many considered Oaran to be downright paranoid. Frequently there has been clashes between the Swampland and Antonium. Balter would accuse Desmond of sending his dogs the Horcasters into his land to pillage for extra gold. Meanwhile Lord Desmond would accuse him of encroaching on his land. It was disputes like this that the rank of Duke was made for. There was no way a single king would be able to manage all duchies by himself. People like Lord Yorod were what kept these disputes from breaking out into full-scale civil war.

Even more than Desmond, Oaran feared Horith Ryden. Ever since the end of the Rorchistyr Rebellion and Horith's ascent to the rank of Duke of the Westland, the bordering holds always feared that his ambition. The Westland was not always ruled by the Rydens. Years ago, when Austin was just a young Prince, Liticea and the Westland were two different countries. The Heflites ruled Liticea and her holds, while the Westland was ruled by the Rorchistyr Dynasty. But in those days, the Sparticans were carving out an empire all the way down the continent. They overran Corasia, the Northern Provinces, and they soon made it to the Borders of Theyola. In desperation, Austin's father married him off to the Theyolan Princess and his brother off to the daughter off to Jannissar Xaro. securing alliances with both and signed a pact with the Westland making them a vassal of Liticea and allies against the Spartican Invasion. Together they were able to defeat the Sparticans and enjoy peace as a united country, until the Rorchistyr king died, and his ambitious son took over and led them down a path that would eventually lead to his family's demise and the rise of Horith Ryden as the Duke of the Westland.

Columns of soldiers lined the road leading to Anton. It was halfway between the size of Carell Keep and Castle Blackfield. It had a tan coloration, unlike the grey and black of the other keeps that the Prince and his comrades have come by. It was said to shine red in the light of the rising sun. It had four tremendously tall towers, meant to observe armies marching from miles away over the open areas. Though the vast plains have now vanished, there was still enough clearings for the eyes to see for far distances.

The army halted before a drawbridge, which Tauron and his senior officers continued over. When they entered the courtyard, they were greeted by an organized mass of kneelers. Towards the entrance to the great hall which lay at the center of the area enclosed by the walls was a large figure with a bright red and orange cap and a flowing orange cape. It was Lord Balter Oaran and his bushy beard was visible even under his bowing head.

Tauron was quite flabbergasted. Normally this treatment would be reserved for his father, but the people of Anton treated the King and the heir as one and the same. The Prince did not mind the treatment, but this is the first time he received it on such a scale.

"Lord Balter," the Prince and the others dismounted and approached the Lord.

"Oh, my Prince," he said, with a voice almost like a squeak toy. Next to him was his equally large wife Merida, and his plump children. One might mistake him for a less imposing Yorod Dayvey.