Chapter 10 The aftermath

I awoke a week later with Alec by my side.  Alec told me that my dad had been calling my cellphone. Lucky for me I never actually sent the text message to him.  Alec said "that I am being called a hero for taping the shooting because of what I did the police where able to place together the whole shooting.

The doctor came in and told me that I am very lucky to be alive because the bullet hit the air stream in my lung.  The next thing the doctor told me made me wish that I had of died. The doctor told me that " I had a miscarriage because of the shooting." I started to cry because I couldn't believe that I was pregnant and now our baby is dead.  I could see the tears in Alec's eyes but he just said that it is okay. Our baby is in heaven. 

 I was kept in the hospital for a week after I woke up, to make sure everything was going to be okay. Tomorrow there is a candle lighting for all the victims, students and their family's.  Alec and me are going to go to it. Alyson and Christy lost there lives in the shooting. Also Alec's cousin  Dia lost her life too.

Alec woke me at 12:00 for brunch.  Alec has been amazing and I could not live without him.  We spent the afternoon watching movies. At 7:00 we made our way to the lighting ceremony.  Alec and me were ushered to take a sit in the front because I was a victim of this tragedy.  The principle and town dignitaries spoke upon the shooting and some of the students spoke of what happen.  Then the mayor said will we all welcome the President of the United States. People stood up and clapped for him.

I knew he was going to see me and the fact that I did not answer him. Alec squeezed my hand and whispered it's okay.  My dad took the stage and looked at the audience, then our eyes meet each other. I knew at that point he was hurting. He spoke about the tragedy and the steps of rebuilding our lives through grief . 

After he was finished speaking he took a seat in the audience.  Family members of the victims were asked to come on stage and Alec went on. The family members shared a picture on the big screen of there loved one. When it came to Alec's turn he showed Dia and my photo. My dad looked right in my direction, but I could not look at him.  Alec came back down and took my hand once again.  When everything was over the candles where handed out to everyone and we all light them. We all sang anthem and the school song.

After we all walked out in single file to released  the balloons that had names on them. My balloon had Alyson's name on it and Alec got Dia's name. One the count of three we all let them go and blew out the candle. 

Alec and me started to walk home when my dads car rolled up beside us. He looked at me and he said get in. I said "what about Alec." My dad said he can go in the front."  I got in the car and my dad pulled me in for a hug. I started to cry.