Chapter 11: Decisions

History is moving pretty quickly these days and the heroes and villains keep on changing parts.
- Ian Fleming 

The Chimera's POV

She didn't bother even trying to be subtle. Motorcycles were not subtle at all, so why even try?

This one was bright red and sleek and roared like a lion. It had been a while since she'd driven one, but as soon as she got onto it and started up the engine, it all seemed to come naturally.

The Chimera had stolen the motorcycle from some guy in downtown Gotham. It had been easy, since he was drunk and wobbling around in an alley, with his motorcycle up and running right next to him. All she'd had to do was hop on, twist the accelerator and get out of there. It didn't even seem like the dude had noticed.

Now, she raced down the streets of the warehouse district, wind whipping through her short hair, trying to ignore the throbbing pain in her shoulder. She didn't have time for bullet wounds, not right now. It could be dealt with later.

The Chimera wracked her brain, trying to remember the address the Phoenix had mentioned earlier.

Thirteenth street, eighth avenue. That was it. A sharp turn took her onto thirteenth street, then down to sixth avenue, where she parked the motorcycle and got off to proceed on foot.

Originally, the Chimera had not been planning on interfering. She really had wanted to just kick back and see what would happen. But after hearing that walkie-talkie conversation (the Phoenix was really not as quiet as she thought she was) the Chimera decided to warn the Joker before he got caught and life became boring and monotonous again.

Because if things went according to the Phoenix's plan, he was gonna get caught. The Chimera had a feeling that there were going to be cops coming, and soon. He needed to take his weapons and find a new hideout.

It wasn't like she actually cared about the Joker. She just didn't want him to get caught so soon. Sure, he would have to go down eventually, but the Chimera planned on taking care of that part herself, when the time came. She did not want a bunch of stupid cops stealing her thunder.

Which was why she ran up to the door of the warehouse she knew him to be staying in (she was getting really good at this spying thing) and tried the handle.

It was locked. Of course it was locked. Why wouldn't it be locked? Dammit. There was no time for locked doors. She glanced down the road - it was still deserted. But probably not for long.

The Chimera sighed exasperatedly, then knocked. Which was probably - no, definitely - really stupid, because it wasn't like the Joker was going to open the door and welcome her into his humble home. But still, it was at least worth a try.

Silence.

All righty then. She glanced around for another potential entrance, eyes landing on the window just to the right of the door.

The Phoenix, followed by the police, would be here any minute. If she was going to warn him she had to do it fast.

The Chimera took a deep breath, then swung her leg up in an arc and kicked straight through the window.

Glass shattered, sparkling in the afternoon sunlight and clattering to the ground. She leaped out of the way as it came raining down.

Her shoulder was thrumming with fresh pain. How did kicking a window even effect her shoulder?

Gunshots sounded moments later, and she ducked down, rubbing her leg. The tall leather boots she wore did not exactly make for the best glass-protection material. It probably would have been easier to just shoot the window.