Chapter 13: Surprises

The Chimera's POV
A scream was already halfway out of her throat when the Chimera woke from a nightmare.

She rolled over, breathing fast, the stone floor cold underneath her. There were tear tracks streaking her face. She rubbed at them furiously, trying desperately to calm her breathing.

It was raining again - a thunderstorm. It had been almost constantly raining since two days ago, after the Joker's little trick with the GCPD. Now, sometime in the middle of the night - thunder shook the sky with low growls, and lightning flashed. The Chimera sat up, closed her eyes.

Voices echoed through her mind, accusing, rising and falling like waves. They drowned out the thunder with their loud wails. She clenched her teeth, ignoring the tears fighting to escape. Take a deep breath. Don't cry.

The nightmare people reached for her, their eyes empty, clothing bloodstained and torn. They called her name.

"Alison.."

No. That was not her name. Not anymore. Things had changed.

"Alison...you did this..."

Alison is dead.

She dragged her fingers through her hair roughly, scraping her scalp. No. This nightmare did not exist. The Chimera does not have nightmares.

But Alison does.

The Chimera does not have nightmares. The Chimera never has nightmares, because she is the nightmare.

Those empty eyes...

Alison. Alison. Alison.

You aren't Alison anymore!

You are. You are. You always will be, a little bit, inside. You're hiding behind the Chimera. But Alison is still there. She is a part of you.

Alison does not exist. Alison died when she was nineteen. Seven years ago.

Your mind is the one place you can't escape from.

Shut up!

You can't escape from Alison.

Watch me, dammit. Watch me.

Maybe you are the Chimera. But you're Alison, too.

But I don't want to be...

She stood up. Seven years. Seven years ago, Alison died, along with her parents, and the Chimera was born.

Seven years ago today. This was the day when she walked into her house and saw blood, unfamiliar crimson staining the carpet. The crimson color that was now permanently soaked into her hair. A war paint of a sort.

This was the day when her life turned into a nightmare. A nightmare that she pretended was what she wanted, sometimes. Even if it wasn't.

Thunder crashed outside like cymbals. Rain blurred the already-dirty warehouse window, making it almost impossible to see through. She placed her hand on the cold glass and shivered.