Chapter 2

"We have arrived."

Snape's voice was cold and sent chills down my spine. He continued to say, "Acid Pops."

I was about to ask him what the heck he was on about when the stone statue in front of us shifted, revealing a set of stairs. I rushed up ahead of him, shouting, "This is so exciting!"

But I lost my footing and fell backwards.

"You insufferable girl!" Snape yelled, his hands closing tight around my arms. "Don't be so foolish!"

He pushed me back up onto the stairs and I walked ahead of him, my head hanging low. It wasn't my fault I was happy to be there!

Snape stood before me and as he was about to knock, I heard an elderly voice say, "Come in, Severus."

Severus Snape, as I had learned he was called,  walked in ahead of me and glared at me when I took a moment to enter.

"Hello, Verita," Dumbledore greeted me gently.

I bowed slightly, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Professor."

"So, I gather that Severus has informed you that you will be sorted here," Dumbledore said, clutching an old, dusty hat from one of his many bookshelves and brushing it off with his hand.

"Yes," I replied.

Snape tapped my arm softly, glaring at me and whispering, "Yes, what?"

"Professor," I added quickly.

"Sit," Dumbledore ordered. I sat on the stool he pointed to.

The dirty old hat was placed on my head, much to my displeasure.

"Well, you can't appreciate magic when you see it."

I gasped, grasping my head. I didn't realise it spoke. If that was in Hogwarts: A History, I certainly missed it.

"You're cunning and rather self-assured," the hat informed me, "You are definitely a... SLYTHERIN!"

I was surprised when a small smile crossed Snape's face, but realised why when Dumbledore said, "Professor Snape will be your head of house. Severus, please can you escort her to her common room?"

"Thank you, Professor," I said, giving Dumbledore a bow again as I began to leave.

"My pleasure, Miss Winters. You do not need to be so formal."

"Hurry up!" Snape hissed as I began shuffling out of the office.

I ignored him, asking, "What are Slytherins like?"

"As the Sorting Hat described you," Snape said with a hint of sarcasm, as if I were stupid.

"I'm new, okay?" I growled slightly.

I cursed under my breath as I realised I'd just disrespected a teacher. He was certainly going to punish me.

Snape instead ignored me, pointing to a stone wall, "The password is 'anguis', Miss Winters."

As soon as he said 'anguis', the wall opened to reveal a dimly-lit room.

"Your dorm is last on the right," Snape said before walking off.

"Wait!" I called as I put one foot inside the Slytherin doorway. Snape looked back briefly as I asked, "What does 'anguis' mean?"

"Snake."

And he was gone.

I stepped into the common room. There were a few stray people walking around, including a few girls I'd tried to speak to on the train that ignored me.

Instead of hanging around, I went straight to my dorm. I learned that I shared this with no one, since I was a late joiner.

I found my case and a set of the Slytherin clothing items I'd need. I slung my clothes off after enchanting the door to lock, and shoved on a loose top and pyjama bottoms.

I fell asleep almost instantly.