Chapter 19

Severus Snape began to snap out of the trance-like state, and glared at me instantly. He knew what I'd done, undoubtedly.

And so did Professor McGonagall.

"Minerva," Severus greeted, wavering his hand to lock the door tight. Professor McGonagall turned to attempt to open it. She had no luck, and it was jammed shut.

"Severus, you realise that this is completely inappropriate. She is a student!" Minerva urged, edging closer to us.

"You must not tell Albus," Severus said harshly.

"This is my job, Sev-"

"Obliviate."

Severus timed it perfectly - the other professor was neither expecting his sudden spell or prepared to reflect it.

McGonagall's face was blank for a second, before she came back to life and looked in our direction, startled.

"Severus? Miss Winters?" She said, confused. She turned to me, "Are you in detention?"

I nodded slowly, "Yes, I turned up late for class."

"Ah, yes..." McGonagall replied, shaking her head, "I'm glad you picked up on that, Severus."

And with that, she walked out.

I turned to Severus with hope in my eyes.

"What were you doing? You insolent girl! It is illegal to use Veritaserum on a teacher, let alone on anyone unless its usage has been approved by the Ministry!" He yelled, slamming me against the wall.

I winced and felt my eyes sting with tears. He noticed this and released me instantly.

"You're lucky that Minerva didn't know you gave me the serum," he growled.

"What you told me under the serum's influence changes nothing?" I inquired. I felt myself begin to cry, and it made me feel bad - as if I was trying to guilt him into not getting me into trouble.

It wasn't that. I just needed him and I knew that.

"It changes the situation in the fact that I won't tell," he sighed, "But I am still not impressed."

I nodded, "I expected as much. I'm really sorry."

"Why?" He asked, his voice a little broken, "Why did you do it?"

"I needed answers, Severus. And I needed them bad."

"I... I loved Lily," Severus said, his eyes glancing out at the empty Firewhiskey glass.

"And you said you love me."

"Maybe I do," he smirked.

My eyes widened and I felt my heart burst at the sound of his voice, admitting that he may have loved me.

"Maybe I love you, too."

"Shut up. There's nothing to love," Severus replied, pain apparent in his tone, "Lily proved that."

"Just because one girl didn't love you doesn't mean no other can," I told him.

"Yes, I suppose you're right."