Chapter 12

Severus' POV

"Severus!" Albus shouted, his voice bellowing around his office, "You must find her immediately."

"I can't," I said, shaking my head, "Every time I look at her, it hurts. It's Lily."

"You owe me, Severus... I helped you when you were broken. You came to me for help, now I'm asking you for yours," the headmaster replied, giving me a disappointed glance, "Lily isn't here, Severus. She won't be. You need to let her go."

I shook my head slightly, feeling a wave of sadness, "Fine."

So I left, trekking away from Hogwarts with my wand up my sleeve. I cautiously trod through the woods, taking light steps as if I was trying not to disturb anyone.

Or anything.

The forest was dark, only illuminated by my wand. It was also eerily quiet. I began to wonder if Verita was here in the first place.

Verita. Her face flashed before my eyes, her grey eyes that became almost clear like the serum she was named after itself when exposed to sunlight, her soft smile as I refrained from ripping my hand away from her own and the way she furrowed her eyebrows when asking why I couldn't really like her.

The truth was, I did.

But there was something stopping me from pursuing that. More than something.

Someone. And that someone was Lily Potter. I knew that she would always cross my mind.

Before I knew it, I was in a clearing. And in front of me, curled up in a ball, was Verita.

"Verita?" I called out softly. I knew it was the right thing to do.

She didn't reply. I approached her, trying to tread gently so I didn't wake her.

Well, I hoped she was asleep. She didn't appear harmed.

Her eyes were closed. I felt myself wanting her to open them so that I could see her sparkling grey eyes.

Sparkling? Get yourself together, Severus. I thought.

"Verita," I said again, louder this time.

She shot up in a matter of seconds, rubbing her eyes. This formed smudged rings of black around them, but it just brought them out more.

"Verita," I repeated, for the last time. She caught sight of me and scoffed - that was becoming a bit of a habit.

"Severus," she replied, her tone cold. It reminded me of my own.

"I... I'm sorry."

Verita stared at me in disbelief, tucking her long brown hair behind her ears, "You are sorry?"

I rolled my eyes slightly, but not at her. At myself.

"Yes. I need to admit it to myself, and to you."

"Are you even Severus?" She asked me, laying back down in the grass, "I'm guessing this is a dream. Goodnight, Severus."

After a moment, Verita picked herself up from the ground again, and whispered, "Wait, if this is a dream, then you'll never know about this..."

And she pressed her lips to mine.