Chapter 3

When I woke up the next morning, there was a timetable for me on one of the other unused beds. I read over it. I was taking all the core subjects except Astronomy, which was of no use to me. I decided to take Care of Magical Creatures and Alchemy on the side.

My first lesson was Defense Against The Dark Arts, so I put on my uniform, a quick layer of eyeliner and followed some girls from my year to the classroom.

Much to my disapproval, Professor Snape would be teaching this subject.

As the class settled, I perched myself on a chair next to a pale blonde boy. It was the only seat left.

"We will be learning nonverbal spells," Snape said, a little interest clear in his voice.

I heard whispers saying that Snape was fishing for to teach this class since he started his career here, and he shouted at the class to be quiet.

"Now, you will pair with the person next to you. Try to hex each other without speaking," the DADA professor said. I could tell this subject was to his amusement.

In Beauxbatons, I had practiced this often. So within a few tries, I got my partner, Draco as I learned, to stumble backwards and collide with one of the chairs with an inside muttering of Stupefy. It missed him by a fraction.

"Well done, Miss Winters," Snape congratulated me quietly as he walked past, ensuring that the other students were focused.

Before I knew it, everyone was out of the class and Snape was asking me to stay behind.

"How did you learn that so quickly?"

I was surprised by his sudden outburst. He seemed desperate to know.

"Well..." I teased.

"Tell me, Miss Winters," Snape demanded.

"I practiced it in Beauxbatons," I admitted.

Snape looked interested, but nodded for me to leave.

"Professor-"

"Curfew is soon, Miss Winters," Snape said, venom dripping from his every word. His dislike towards me; his want for me to leave was so clear, and painstakingly obvious.

I felt my heart ache at the thought. Why did I care what my teacher thought of me?

Oh, right. I didn't. I shouldn't have, at least.

"Please leave, Miss Winters."

There was a tone of desperation in Severus Snape's voice. I wasn't sure whether he was desperate for me to get out or just for some peace, so I left without a word.

I found myself in a free period, well at least I did after checking my timetable. So I headed to the library where I found Draco alone, hands running through his hair repetitively.

"You okay there?" I asked softly, resting my hand on his shoulder.

He shrugged me off, muttering, "I'm fine, thanks. You're the first person who has cared to ask in a while."

I smiled at him, "That's all right. What are you reading about?"

"Potions. It's my favourite subject," he said, almost proudly. He reminded me of Snape for a moment, and a jab of pain hit my heart.

Ignoring it, I commented, "That's cool. It's mine too."

"You, uh... Wanna sit by me? We have it together after lunch," Draco inquired awkwardly.

"Sure," I replied. I bid him goodbye and went off in search of my own Potions book.

I found it with ease, it was one of the ones that my old teacher at Beauxbatons had recommended. Although I couldn't find it back there, she'd suggested it would be here.

Sitting down to relax and read, I enjoyed my free period.