Chapter 32

Severus' face was colourless and perhaps even crisper than face-to-face, every detail of his skin sketched out in pure black ink.

"The book?" He questioned.

"Your book," I repeated for the third time, "The Potions one. Half-Blood Prince."

"I see," he replied coolly, his eyes closing briefly before shooting open, their colour on the page similar to how they looked in real life, "You must not use it, Verita."

"Why?" I asked, pulling out a small vial from my robes, "I've already made Veritaserum and Felix Felicis, as well as Draught of the Living Death and Amortentia, then I've just started on Poly-"

"Amortentia?" Severus asked in disbelief, "Why would that be of use to you?"

"I don't know!" I shrugged, "I'm bored, Severus. I like Potions."

"You should be doing something more worthy of your time," he told me calmly, "Practice defense skills!"

"I'm not stupid!" I replied heatedly, "I'd be doing this in school, anyway. So I might as well practice because someday I might actually need some of this."

Severus was quiet for a few moments, but his eyes were trained on me.

"Your eyes can't tell me your emotions when you're on parchment paper," he commented amusedly, the edges of his lips curving upwards, "They're just black holes."

"You better be careful not to get lost in them, then," I replied sarcastically as I shoved the bottle of Felix Felicis back into my robes.

"What sort of pick-up line is that?" Severus scoffed, clearly unamused.

"It wasn't," I said, "I don't need to practice pick-up lines with you. You're already mine."

"That I am," he told me, giving me a small smile. I was used to this by now. He was a lot more affectionate when we were apart.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder," he said out of nowhere. Then it hit me.

"You didn't!" I yelled, causing Narcissa to rush in and ask if I was okay. I sent her off, assuring her everything was alright.

"I didn't what, Verita?" Severus taunted. His eyebrows were raised and I could tell he was dying to laugh.

"You can read my mind through bloody paper?!" I shouted, poking the paper. He winced.

"Wait..."

"How can-"

I heard Narcissa giggle from the doorframe, clearly not having left. She smirked and said, "It's true. Although I wouldn't recommend kissing through it. Tastes kind of... odd."

"How would you-" I stopped myself, "I don't even want to know."

Severus chuckled, and I turned my attention back to him. His hand reached towards the paper and it looked flat. But then I felt a ghostly touch on my cheek.

"It almost does feel like you," he said quietly, his expression unclear.

"It certainly feels like you," I smiled, reaching my hand over where his was supposed to be. It felt as if I was holding my hand against his, and the pressure on my skin increased.

"I miss you," he whispered, "I have to go."

"I miss you too," I replied, and then he was gone.