Chapter 21

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

21

On Bannarel Island, about 30 minutes north by flight from the palace on Chuness, the girl, Anya, rested. Shaz had scarcely left her side for the six hours since they'd landed. It took the healers a few hours of trying to wake the girl to come to the conclusion that she was in a coma. They'd done all they could for her. But both she and the child were fine, physically.

Anya looked like she was sleeping so peacefully. Shaz kept expecting her to wake up any minute. Now, studying her face in the lamplight of the Healer's Wing of the castle at Bannarel, Anya looked so young and innocent.

He'd known that she was upset, when he told her that she was pregnant that morning, but he hadn't expected the tragic accident that followed: discovering that she had fallen, or maybe even jumped, from the floating island into the sea. They'd found her. But even now, no one could say when she would recover.

He felt terrible.

A sound at the door alerted him and he looked up. His mother, Gwindle, Regent of Chuness, entered the room. He'd hoped that, in deference to the fact that Anya was seriously ill, his mother would dress more modestly. But she did not. She wore a beautiful green evening gown, low cut with a v-neck in the front. The trim shimmered and glittered. The dress was slender on her but there was an overdress layer in the back that fluttered in the breeze when she walked. She looked like she was going to a ball. She carried a matching green wooden fan. He frowned at her.

"That hardly seems like appropriate attire, considering the circumstances, mother."

"Good evening to you, as well," she said, overlooking his rudeness at not greeting her properly. She glanced at his casual clothes with a critical eye. "At least one of us remembered that the Challenge begins in an hour. Or are you planning to drop out?"

He sighed. He had forgotten.

"That's what I thought. It's a good thing you have me looking out for you. How is she; tell me everything."

He got up and moved away from the bed out onto the porch. His mother followed. He shut the glass door behind them. He didn't want anyone to over hear their conversation, especially Anya, in case she was partially conscious.

"The healers say that she's in good health and so is the child. It's just a matter of time until she wakes up."

"Wonderful!" said Gwindle. "She's all right then and so is the child. A Serkell child. Who knows, this may be your biggest accomplishment."

He was sure that this was an insult but he said nothing.

"The fact that she fell—it was such a terrible, tragic accident," said Gwindle.

"I'm not sure it was an accident, mother. She was willing, at first. Things were going well, but last night, it was like she suddenly changed her mind."

"Don't worry about it dear," his mother said. "Girls are flighty where sex is concerned. The point is: you did the deed. People thought that bloodline had died out when Dayle and Aldena disappeared. Now you'll have an heir stronger than any other House can boast of—a cross between Draven and Serkell. She's the daughter of the living heir of King Athelas. Can I trust you not to mess this engagement up?"

"I'm doing my best," said Shaz.

"Pushing her off the floating islands? I know you have a temper, but—"

"I didn't push her!" he said, flustered. Why didn't mother ever listen to him? "I believe that she jumped."

"Why would she jump? What did you say to her?"

"Nothing!" He thought back. There were things maybe he shouldn't have said to her. "She said she didn't want to be pregnant."

"A little late for that," said Gwindle, raising her eyebrows.

"I think she was trying to kill herself."

"No," said his mother. "It was a terrible, unfortunate accident. And here you are, playing the thoughtful fiancé, sitting by her bedside, full of grief. Well done."

He stared at her.

"Meanwhile, events are unfolding. Aldena Jade's nephew is still planning to enter the Challenge, though I don't know why. Honestly, he can't win. Still, we can't be too careful. As soon as the Challenge starts, I want you to kill him. Right now, he's vulnerable and has no allies. If you wait too long, it will be too late."

"Is that a good idea—killing her cousin? Wouldn't it be better if—"

His mother hit him hard across the face with her wooden fan, startling him. It smarted. "I've been playing this game for decades. Don't try to second guess me! I'm trying to give you the kingdom—just do as I say!"

He stared at her, wanting to reason with her, but he knew it was useless. Mother had spoken.

"You will wait until the Challenge starts. You'll find Rian in a legal area—and you'll kill him. Simple. Straightforward. No explanations necessary. That's the beauty of the Challenge. I trust you can do this?" She stared at him expectantly.

He had no special like for Rian. "Yes, of course I can."

"Then do it. Meanwhile, I brought clothes for you to change into. We'll need to hurry, if we're going to be on time."

"But, Anya—"

"Will be fine," said his mother. She touched his cheek gently. "I'll take care of everything. I always do. Your task is the Challenge. Anya will be fine. I promise, I'll give her every attention."

By that, his mother meant that she'd send someone to watch Anya.

Truthfully, Shaz had hoped Anya would come to Arlunn with him. They were engaged and she was pregnant with his child. By the rules of the Challenge, he could bring members of his immediately family. But his mother would only argue with him, so he said nothing. He left to change.

+ - + - + - + - + - + -

Follow Meredith Skye on twitter: @meredithskye

If you liked this chapter, encourage me to write more--please click "vote."