Chapter 18

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

18

The morning after the Ball Anya woke early and lay in bed awake a long time before she got up. All she could think about was Shaz. It made her smile, it made her laugh. It made her want to dance around her room.

She got dressed in something fun, a brown riding jacket and skirt, and went downstairs. Shaz said he had to go back to Arlunn today, and she had hoped that she might get a glimpse of him before he left. She wandered around the hallways, pretending to look at the serious portraits of past Kings of Chuness. A few servants walked here and there but she saw no sign of the prince.

Dejected, she wandered by the breakfast room, in the hopes that she had missed him or he'd come down late. But a glance in there proved useless. She sighed. She stepped out onto the porch on the Northwest side for one last look, but she failed to see any activity that could indicate the prince of Chuness was about.

She turned to go inside and found a tall man standing on the porch behind her. She was a little startled, but smiled. "Oh, hello." Then she recognized him as one of Shaz's friends, named Saemund. He was Shaz's second in the Challenge and he had been at the dance.

Saemund nodded. "Good morning. You're up early."

"Yes," she nodded.

He took a step towards her and lowered his voice. "Come with me," he said conspiratorially.

She hesitated.

"Shaz is waiting for you," he said.

She smiled and followed him. They went along the porch to another sun room which opened with French doors. Saemund opened the doors and she entered. There stood Shaz, dressed more plainly now, no doubt in his student clothes. He beamed when he saw her. "Anya!"

"Shaz, I was hoping I'd see you before you left." She hurried over to him, but stopped short, a little awkward. Not sure what was an appropriate greeting for a prince that she might not see for months.

Their friend, Saemund stayed in the room, near the door, but within hearing distance.

"I have to go back to Arlunn," Shaz said.

She nodded. "I know."

"The Challenge will be starting soon and I don't know when I'll be back."

"Oh," she said, sad. She had hoped he would give her some sign or tell her when they might see each other again.

He stared deeply into her eyes a moment. "I grow fonder of you each time I see you."

"Me too," she said. The Palace would be dull without him.

A long moment passed between them, but it didn't feel awkward. He held her hand and they looked into each other's eyes. "Yes," he said at last. "I should do it."

"Do what?"

He took both her hands. "Anya," he said gently, his eyes shining. "I can't bear to be parted from you, not without some assurance. Promise you'll marry me."

"We're going to get married?" She could hardly believe she was hearing this.

"I want you to be my Queen, when I rule as King. But—it has to be a secret. I don't think our mothers would approve, not so quickly."

She glowed. "Yes!"

"You can't tell anyone. Do you promise?"

"I promise! I love you, Shaz!" She couldn't believe she was saying this to anyone. She'd never imagined that things in her life could change so drastically, so quick.

"You are wonderful and patient—better than I deserve," he said humbly. "Saemund here is acting as our witness, that we are now secretly betrothed."

"Yes, your highness," said Saemund, bowing.

Anya's heart beat quickly at the excitement of it. Then Shaz took her gently in his arms and drew her close for a long, warm kiss that drove all other thoughts from Anya's mind.

"I must go," said Shaz. "I'm late already. I just wanted to see you. I'll come back when I can, in a week or two. Goodbye, my love."

"Goodbye," she said. Shaz left via the hallway and Saemund followed. Anya sank into a chair and contemplated the way the universe kept changing on her.

+ - + - + - + - + - + -

Check out my blog: meredithskye.weebly.com/blog.html

If you liked this chapter, encourage me to write more--please click "vote."