Chapter 11: The Downfall of All

"The Beast must be very hungry," said Beauty, trying to laugh, "if he makes all this rejoicing over the arrival of his prey."

"Has fear consumed you now?"

Evelyn's blood ran cold as she heard the mirth in his menacing voice. Evelyn could not help her sharp intake of breath as he stepped into the light and revealed himself.

He was much taller than Evelyn, and even though he was lean, Evelyn had no doubt that he was much stronger than he looked. His skin was an unusual color of dark blue and distinctive markings covered his skin. His raven black hair was messy, as if he had ran his fingers through them far too many time.

He was wearing a simple green tunic and black pants. His tunic was torn and wrinkled and it reminded her of her brother when he came back from a brawl with one of the neighboring boys.

Evelyn allowed her eyes to fall upon his most unusual gaze and realized that as she studied him, he, in turn, studied her. She couldn't take her brown eyes from his eyes of deep crimson. There was a deep saddening emotion behind his eyes and Evelyn felt herself become mesmerized by the intensity. 

She realized that she had taken a step back out of fear when she saw him for the first time.

Not wanting to seem frightened or affected by his appearance in any way, she took a step forward and regained her initial position, standing a bit taller and while meeting his unnerving gaze.

The beast narrowed his eyes as he watched her carefully, "Lying to yourself is much more detrimental than lying to others. It imposes ignorance."

"I'd rather strive for courage, even if it be fake for a moment, than rather lack it completely."

The Beast looked away shaking his head and laughed softly. "Your pride will be your downfall."

"You speak as if from experience."

His eyes flashed as he turned around to face her again.

He began to pace around her like he had done earlier. She tried not to show how uncomfortable she really was under his scrutinizing glance. She could feel his eyes travel up her tattered peasant dress up to her sun-kissed hands. She felt self-conscious of her hair, undoubtedly the locks were tangled and knotted from the journey to the castle.

Despite his own worn appearance, he held his chin high and looked down upon her. Something Evelyn was use to from her sisters.

"You will never leave these grounds, do you understand?" He finally spoke, a sense of authority in his walk.

Evelyn bit her lip and let his words sink in completely. She closed her eyes and pictured her brothers.

Will they miss me? 

She knew that they would be fine without her, but she would miss them dearly. 

"Yes." She said, opening her eyes and clearing her mind of her family for the moment.

"You will heed my orders and never disobey." He stated in haughtily. 

Evelyn was not pleased with his overpowering sense of superiority that he possessed over her so quickly. He showed no inclination of empathy for her or her situation, and Evelyn's chest tightened as she nodded. As she did so, she could feel her freedom slip through her fingers. Her cheeks slightly heated in annoyance as she realized that he did not cared whatsoever, and he actually enjoyed taking it away from her.

"Do you accept this willingly."

"It seems I don't have any other choice." Evelyn muttered hotly.