Chapter 24: A Price

"You're not trusting yourself."

The Beast stood there watching Evelyn, confusion bending his brow. It was one of the expressions he rarely wore that Evelyn enjoyed, possibly because it suggested he wasn't always in a sour disposition. The soft downward curve of his slender lips, however, caused her no amusement this time, as the guilt never seemed to leave her.

Every time he spoke to her or looked her way, she was reminded of the pain her folly had caused.

Even now, days after the incident, the pain the poison had caused was fading but still lingering like a memory. She could see it with the small grimace he tried to mask every time he moved.

Although she faithfully took care of him, with the help of Frea, she still felt as if she owed him more.

As these thoughts clouded her mind as her fingers flinched and twitched with the energy of magic buzzing through her veins, trying to start a small flame in her palm.

The only result she managed were a few sparks that quickly fizzled out.

She didn't hear what he said.

She was too wrap up in her head.

Feeling as though she was too dangerous to handle magic, much less fire.

Tears blurred her vision as she tried harder to light the fire before the Beast gently took her hands into his.

A small sob escaped her lips in reaction to his touch. His hands were cold, but felt nice compared to the heat the sparks had emitted against her skin.

She lowered her head as the tears fell and allowed her hair to fall around her face like a veil, ashamed of breaking down in front of him.

A small gasp left her lips as his hands moved from her hands and up to her cheeks, slowly moving her head up until he could see her glistening eyes.

"I know," she whispered, not trusting her voice, "I must have a clear mind."

The Beast shook his head slightly as he brushed the tears from her cheeks with his thumbs. There was a new expression in his eyes that Evelyn hadn't witnessed before, a softer gaze than her eyes had ever beheld.

"Some emotions have to be felt."

Evelyn closed her eyes and silently pleaded that she could stop feeling, maybe that would clear up the hesitation and confusion within herself.

"We should stop, I shouldn't be doing this. I'm only a danger."

"You're as dangerous as a rose."

"Roses have thorns."

The Beast rolled his eyes at her stubbornness.