Chapter 26: Maze

"The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter - often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter - in the eye."
-Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Chapter 26:

Evelyn immediately felt her spirits rise once they step foot outside of the castle. She welcomed the warm touch of the sun upon her cheeks and she breathed in the fragrance of the flowers and the fruits.

"Marvelous." She murmured as she watched  a group of colorful birds flying and hopping from tree to tree.

"They actually can be quite burdensome once you hear them sing." The Beast said.

Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"Don't act so uninterested! You must agree you were missing a great deal while locking yourself up in that castle like a forgotten relic." She said with a smirk before spotting a small hedge maze.

She didn't notice the Beast stop and glance at her thoughtfully as she ran towards its entrance.

She turned around before going in, sparing a glance his way, "Well, come along!" She quickly disappeared into the maze, and he did not know why, but he followed.

He moved quickly through the turns of the bushes, listening to her laughter as it met his ears like soft bells. Eventually he came to a path that suddenly split into two different directions. Looking back and forth between each path, he considered his options.

As he moved to choose a path, he stopped. His eyes had caught sight of a brilliant bright red rose growing on the hedge of the left path. He quickly picked the flower free from the bush, feeling Evelyn's magic lingering in its petals.

He looked up and smiled, quickly making his way down the path and following the roses that occasionally showed him the way.

He felt his excitement spike as he saw the end of her skirt wrap around the edge of the bush as she turned. He ran towards her, and once she was close enough, he grabbed her hand.
To his surprise, however, his hand went right through her.

They both stopped as he peered at her with complete perplexity.

"Why are you so surprised?" She asked with a satisfied smirk. "I've been practicing on my own."

She vanished in a flash of blue and the Beast breathed out a short laugh before continuing his chase.