Chapter 34: Lady Spring

He smiled bittersweetly, "I should have long ago."

The window outlooking the garden caught Loki's eye as the clouds parted outside, dispelling more moonlight within the library.

"The garden." He murmured in surprise, taking in the sight of the flowers dancing happily in the breeze. "It use to be so barren and cold."

He spoke as if he had only realized the change just then, his gaze fluctuating between from what laid outside and then to his palms, as if somewhere between there his questions could be solved

Evelyn turned her gaze to window, surprised by such sudden realization.

She remembered the castle well the night she first came, scared and shivering. She was sure that nothing could live in such a severe cold for long, and supposed the orchard, barren and brittle, had been smothered by the frost. And yet, now the garden thrives, hardly affected by such extreme weather, and the is sun rarely ever eclipsed by a grey cloud upon the castle's property.

Although the interior of the castle held an enduring chill, the grounds remained warm, like the first day of summer. Evelyn begun to suspect that the weather was somehow linked to Loki, for it had remained spring for most of the year when it should have already passed. The purpose for such a spell, however, she was quite uncertain and now began to believe that even Loki himself wasn't aware of the affects he had on the weather, judging by his sudden surprise.

"Spring must eventually give way to winter, though." She said thoughtfully, "It's as if nature intends for you to see the beauty in winter as the earth yearns for spring."

Even though she always loved the spring the best, there was an admiration that she had for winter that she couldn't shake, rooted from her childhood. Even amongst the fear that gripped her upon her arrival at the castle, she still thought there was beauty in the winter that covered the castle grounds.

"That doesn't mean that it's necessarily beautiful."  Loki objected. "You just appreciate that beauty once that which is depraved of beauty suddenly takes its place."

Evelyn paused as she processed his argument, her brow furrowed as she analyzed her best response. Suddenly she broke away from her thoughts and turned to him with almost a childlike exuberance.

"Have you heard of the story of Lady spring?" She asked, to which Loki shook his head in response.

Evelyn quickly scooted over on the couch she was sitting on, and with an energetic pat upon the cushion, she motioned for him to sit. Laughing at her eagerness, he took his place next to her. But not without taking on a teasing pose, his chin settled in his palm as he looked up at her expectantly, waiting for her story like a child.