Chapter 39: A Passing Storm

Evelyn let her hands slid down the emerald lace-work of the bodice and followed it down as it that gradually transitioned into rich satin.

She still wasn't use to the volume of the dress as it flared out gracefully—she never had a proper gown before, nor the excuse to wear something so beautiful before.

It almost felt criminal to be able to enjoy such a luxury, when her sisters would have loved it so much more. 

She decided that the corset was her punishment. It just didn't seem natural to squeeze your ribs so tightly. She didn't mention this thought to Freya, though, she saved herself from sounding too childish.

It was clear from her grimace, however, what she truly thought of the contraption. She could hear Freya snickering quietly as she laced her up.

"Alright," Freya said slightly out of breath like it was hard work making Evelyn look presentable. "Let's have a look."

The fabric of the gown rustled as she allowed Freya to pivot herself in the direction of the mirror, leaving her blinking at her reflection.

 She was staring down a young woman who looked frightened. She almost laughed at how stiff her body was, as if afraid to touch something so expensive lest it tear or be soiled by her hands.

Evelyn shrugged slightly, surprised to see the movement of her collarbone so clearly. The gown was off the shoulder, revealing more of her chest and neck than she ever thought she would ever show.

She pulled at the bodice, trying to cover up more skin, "Isn't this... a bit too much?"

Her neck seemed too vulnerable, her skin seemed too pale against the dark hue, and god, you could easily see her frantic breathing with the tight bodice exposing the rise and fall of her chest.

All this was foreign to her, and she felt out of place.

Freya laughed, amused by her wide-eyed expression, "Too much? Loki went conservative for you dear, knowing you and your taste."

Freya guided her shoulders back so that she was now standing up straighter.

Evelyn didn't even realize that she had started slouching.

She quickly turned away from the mirror to look Freya in the eye rather than her reflection.

She asked in a hushed voice, as if it was a secret, "Loki picked this out?"

Her heart rate accelerated as Freya nodded with knowing eyes.

I should've known, She thought as she stared down at the deep green.

The unfamiliarity with extravagance no longer concerned Evelyn, this dress was now a secret message from Loki, shared just between them— (and Freya).

Evelyn could easily imagine his long fingers gliding over the green silk as she had just done, examining the details of the bodice closely for possibly different reasons.

The fabric felt different upon her skin now, knowing that he had chosen it with the intention of it suiting her body.

"Ah, yes." He would say, licking his thin lips, "This one will do."

Freya started giggling suddenly, and Evelyn broke out of her daze to see her face flushed.

She decided it was the corset's fault of blocking her air supply that caused such fevered imaginings.

But she couldn't quite shake the feeling that had overcome her, she knew that she could only name it by desire. A desire to see the mischievous glint in his eyes, and the curve of his smirk.