Chapter 25: Despair

"Do you believe we are masters of ourselves, or merely dance like puppets on strings having the illusion of independence?"

― Winston Graham, Jeremy Poldark

Chapter 25: Despair

The bond was more powerful than Loki and Evelyn imagined.

Waves of his pain and guilt would crash over Evelyn like a roaring wave, while Loki felt her yearning for her family and the deep sadness rooted in her soul.

These feelings would cause them to toss and turn all night, wondering about the other throughout the night.

What would cause him so much guilt?

Evelyn often thought.

Why does he think of himself as a Beast?

As if feeling her thoughts, he furrowed his brow in discomfort from her despair eating away at his soul.

She had never complained, never frowned.

Had he not noticed this immense pain in her eyes?

No, he had.

But she was his, and he didn't care before.

But things seemed different now.

He wasn't able to act indifferent to her feelings for it never seemed to leave him, and he worried that his plan would be revealed to her through his own feelings.

"You're still planning to raise a lamb for the slaughter?" Odin's illusion asked him one night after Evelyn retired after their lesson.

His words seemed to echo through his thoughts every time he continued to train her.

Because he knew it was true.

Somehow he had forgotten how truly selfish he was, that every person in the world was just another piece to be played.

He didn't know why he was so surprised.

One day, however, he couldn't take it any longer.

"Why don't we take a break today?"

Evelyn looked up at him surprised, "And do what?"

The light cascading through the library's window warmed his skin and brought him an idea.

Holding out his arm, ready for her to take, he smirked and said, "Would you accompany me on a walk outside the castle?"

A small smile grew upon her lips as she locked her arm around his, her hand resting atop his. He paused a moment, glancing down at her small hand, strikingly pale against his dark blue skin.

Even her skin seemed innocent compared to his.

The castle's door creaked as they opened it, for it wasn't use to being used. Loki hesitated at the doorstep, the sweet air pleasuring his senses.

"What's wrong?" Evelyn asked, she sensed his hesitation.

He looked down at her worried and curious eyes, he felt deeply warmed by her concern and he faked a small smile before he lied, "Nothing."

"You're lying." Evelyn said in a song-like voice while she pulled away from him, staring him down with a questioning  glare.

"I've never gone outside this castle." He muttered.

"But it's so beautiful outside-" she stopped as realization washed over her features.

She took his hands into hers and said softly, "I don't know what you did to feel guilty beyond repair, but I do believe that everyone deserves a little beauty in their lives."