03 | C o f f e e

Dedicated to whammystyles because you are such an incredible writer and I'm proud to be able to call you my friend! Ily x

THERE WAS A STARBUCKS JUST across the road. Every lunch-time I would cross the busy street to get a drink and to eat my lunch in peace - I had no time for the canteen over at the work place, it was always too cramped and full of useless conversation that didn't interest me. Being by myself gave me an hour or so to think and sketch in peace, without the dreadful worrying of returning to work for four remaining hours of spread sheets and Fiona's never-ending tasks.

I pushed open the door to the coffee shop and stood quietly in line, shaking the coins around in my hand until I made it to the counter. It was unusually quiet compared to most work days and I wondered why - was there something different going on? Probably, I realised, when isn't there something going on in the city?

"What can I get you today, love? The usual?" asked the man behind the counter. I'd come to learn his name during my first week of working at the ERHA - Louis - and he was one of the nicest guys I knew. He was about my height with scruffy brown hair and bright blue eyes. He always had a mischievous smirk on his lips that made me nervous when accepting my cup of coffee from him. It was almost like he was an evil genius with a mastermind plan ready to unfold.

"Um, no actually," I said, smiling at him. "A small vanilla-lemon frappuccino, please."

"Coming right up. Liam, small lemon-vanilla for Jane, mate!" Louis called over his shoulder as he wrote my name on the cup.

As if someone had hit him unexpectedly, Liam whipped round to say hello to me. He and Louis were good friends from what I'd observed and their friendly service was more than I could ask for. 

"Hey, Jane," Liam said, smiling widely as he took the cup and began to prepare my order. I always left Fiona's coffee until I returned to the building, that way it stayed hot for her. I stood patiently as I watched Louis and Liam take various orders from other customers, a smile on my face as Liam handed me the drink and a sneaky wink.

"Thanks, Liam," I said with a smile before turning and heading upstairs to the seating area overlooking the streets. I scanned the room a couple of times and found myself sitting by the window at the far end in a table for two. Once sat down and happy, I instantly pulled out my sketch pad and pencils, doodling away.

The particular image I was working on was a college of my work colleagues. Rough drawings of Fiona, Tim, Jesy, Stella, Steven and Peter were scribble across the page ... as well as an extra-detailed Harry in the middle.

My drawing of Harry was OK, nothing too incredible. Well, how could it be? It was almost impossible to capture Harry's wonderfulness in a drawing. I'd worked on the curve of his jaw for hours, wondering what exactly it was that I couldn't quite get right. Was it the eyes? Probably. I'd failed to add the little gleam that was so often there when he smiled at people. His smile - was that what I couldn't quite get? Most likely - his lips weren't as plump as that. It was so frustrating and I was almost determined to give up. Just as I was about to let out a frustrated groan, a voice made me jump.