05 | U n e x p e c t e d

Dedicated to _HakunaMatata_ because you're the bestest embryo and a great friend! x

AS I WALKED INTO WORK on Monday morning with my head hung low and eyes slightly red and droopy from lack of sleep, I would never have expected Fiona to pat me on the back and tell me I looked happier than usual. Oh, Fiona, you have no idea what I'm feeling right now, I'd thought as I flashed her a weak smile and walked her up to the repairs floor. I was the last one in, so I immediately got to work, filling in spreadsheets with number after number until the clock finally ticked up to lunch time.

I hated work. It was only a job I'd considered applying for because it paid well, and money was something I severely needed when I first moved to the city. I wasn't completely poor when I first moved to London but it was definitely something I needed to earn if I wanted to continue living in there.

I'd always craved more than living in a small, rural area in the country - I wanted flashing lights, hundreds of people walking the streets with chatter and the sound of vehicles filling the air. I wanted to live somewhere with character and life. It's what helped me develop so many different styles with my art and art was my dream career choice. If I could leave the ERHA to pursue art as a main career I would do so in a heartbeat. 

"Fiona, do want a coffee?" I asked as I pulled on my coat and looked at her expectantly. She thought for a moment, tapping her talon-like nails against her chin as she considered my offer.

"Nah, I'm good for today. Thank you, Jane."

I nodded and left the office. 

It was rather chilly outside and I pulled my coat tighter around myself as I patiently waited for the traffic lights to turn red. While glancing up at the sky, I noticed dark clouds forming a blanket of grey overhead and I instantly regretted not bringing an umbrella with me to work. Then again, I did only live a ten minute walk away, so with a bit of luck I wouldn't end up as drenched as I had on the night of Norma's retirement party. 

Louis and Liam welcomed me with a wide grin, like always.

"Afternoon, Jane," Liam said as he took my order.

"Hey, Liam," I said, smiling as I handed him the change. "How are you?"

"Good. And yourself?"

You mean apart from being completely and utterly and heart-brokenly depressed that a taken man I adore very much has become even more officially taken? "I'm good, I guess," I lied.

"Good to hear. Anything exciting going on?"

I made a stupid and selfish wish to have a beautiful man I can never actually have. "Nah, not really. I saw a shooting star at the weekend."

"I missed it! Everyone was talking about it the next day and I bloody missed it!" Liam groaned, shaking his head. "Could have done to see one, actually. My grandma always said it's the most beautiful thing you will ever see and it's what led her to finding my granddad."