Caught Up In Love and War (6)

Chapter Six

"Gr," I growled.  Yes, I actually growled.  I didn't care if it sounded weird, I was frustrated!  It was the weekend and December was trying to teach me how to get into other peoples' heads.  I had to practice on someone that I was close to and had known for a long time.  That meant someone in my family, because I had just met the four vampires here.  I had chosen Connor.

"Just try to focus.  Clear your mind," December instructed, slightly monotone.

"I'm trying.  I just can't seem to reach him.  Maybe he's too far."  I opened my previously closed eyes and looked down.  I was sitting on the carpet with December in my room.  Earlier in the week I had gotten a vacuum and cleaned up the carpet.  It was much better now.  I still hadn't gotten any new furniture though.

"Distance doesn't matter.  The person you choose could be in another dimension and you could still reach them."  She closed her eyes and I watched her concentrate.  "Right now I'm in my sister's head.  She's outside watching a chipmunk run around."  December opened her eyes.

"I can't wait until I can do that.  I am so anxious to know what's going on back home."  I was temporarily cast away into memories of my past.  I smiled, remembering the good times and not the bad.

"Tell me, Autumn," December started.  "If you miss your family so much, then why did you leave."

I looked her straight in the eye, my previous smile gone.  "My dad is a horrible man.  He was forcing vampires that didn't want to fight, like me, to fight the humans.  Our numbers have decreased and he's getting desperate.  I was nervous.  I didn't want to leave my mother and brother and even my sister behind, but I did."

"So you're just escaping you life and forcing other's to be harder.  With your absence, then our side of the conflict are one member short.  You may not think that's a big deal, but with the state we're in, it is."

"Now that's not fair.  You guys left too," I pushed the blame on her.  "And that's three of you."

"Yes, but we were ordered to come here.  You're dad was worried about you and told us to watch out for you."

"But, then why doesn't he want me to come back?"  I folded my arms around my knees and hugged them closer, suddenly feeling a chill down my spine.  It was a strange feeling, but it soon passed.  Huh, weird.

"I don't know.  Can we get back to your training.  I have little interest in this conversation."

I nodded, letting go of my legs and moving them so they were crossed like a pretzel.  Hm, that sounds good right now.

I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind.  Focus.  Remember Connor.  No, don't remember, just think of him and try to see what he sees.  I followed my own instructions but found not what I was hoping for.  Just my not-so-blank mind.  That's the problem.  I can't seem to clear my mind enough to leave it.

I opened my eyes and directed a question at December.  "What will happen to my body once I'm looking through his eyes?"

"It'll just fall limp.  Nothing to worry about if you're in a safe location."

"All right, good to know."  I tried again, except this time something happened.  An image of my mom flashed in my head.  I hadn't been thinking of her; I hadn't been thinking of anything actually.  For once my mind had been clear.  Maybe, I did make it into Connor's mind and had been watching through his eyes.  Maybe he was with my mom right now.

"You made progress I see," December snapped me away from my thoughts.  I looked at her.  She gave me a faint smile.  "I can read your mind you know.  Any vampire can."