Caught Up In Love and War (7)

Chapter Seven

"Hey math girl!"

I felt someone poke my side and I jumped, almost making a small noise.  It wasn't as if I was sleeping or anything, it was just he poked me in a sensitive spot that startled me.

I turned to glare at Lucas.  "What?"

"Whoa, sounded a little rude there," Lucas replied with mock surprise.

I held my glare.  "You do know my name.  You don't have to call me math girl."

"Yeah...but anyway."   Yeah, meaning he could but won't.  "Me and some of my friends are having a picnic later after school.  You want to join?"

Before I could answer, however, a little eavesdropper decided to interrogate him.

"Will there be cookies?" Crystine asked him, coming over and leaning forward over his desk, making him lean back.

"Yeah?" Lucas replied, sounding unsure.

"Then I'm in."  Crystine pulled back to stand near where I was sitting.  The lesson had ended, but class wasn't actually over yet, so we had a few minutes to just chill.  This always happens in math class.

"Okay.  What about you?"  Lucas leaned forward to poke me again.

"I guess so.  Why not?  I'm not doing anything later anyway."  I had dropped my glare when Crystine had decided to pop in, and now I gave him a small friendly smile.  He returned it, then leaned across his desk to talk to one of his friends.

"You like him, don't you?" Crystine questioned me, smirking.

I gave her an appalled look.  "What?  Whatever gave you that idea?  He just being friendly," I lowered my voice.  "and I did come here to blend in with the humans, so I shouldn't spend all of my with vampires."

"You have a point, but seriously, you like him."

"Whatever happened to having a friendship with a guy?"

"It disappeared once people started writing romance novels about two young teenagers.  And also when people started pairing up their favorite characters in a show.  Hell, you two could hate each other and people may think you like each other and make the perfect couple."

I chuckled.  "Maybe I can make a human friend, but it doesn't mean I like him like that."

"I'll guess we'll never know, unless I sneak into your head and read your thoughts."  She grinned evilly.

I felt an annoying poke in my head.  "Stop that!"  I forced her out of my head and did my best to barricade it from any further attempts.

She chuckled as well.  "That just proves you have something to hide."

Before I could retort the bell rang and she was out of my range.  Darn, I'll have to get back at her later for that.  Then I remembered something.  Oh well, I'll just have to ask her at lunch.

Once lunch rolled along, I found my seat at my usual table with the usual people.  Stephanie was engaged in a conversation with Kylie that must have been amusing because she kept throwing laughs out here and there.  Anna wasn't there yet.

"Hello," I greeted them, in return being given the exact same greeting.

"Anyway, as I was saying..." Stephanie went on to finish her story with Kylie and I waited for Hannah, Crystine, and December.

Crystine and her sister came first.  "Hey math girl," Crystine joked and December just gave me a smile.

"Don't call me that!" I ordered, glaring.  She just laughed and shrugged it off.  "Anyway, I have a question."