Chapter 22: Sweaty Luke or Shirtless Luke

"A problem?" I repeated, staring at Luke. "What kind of problem?"

"Oh you know," Luke said, casually. "Just a leak in the engine."

"A leak in the engine?!" My knowledge on 1980s Bentley's was limited, but even I could tell that a leak in the engine was a pretty bad problem. "Please tell me you know how to fix this?"

"Well," Luke began.

"Well?" I questioned, silently praying that being able to fix car engines was one of Luke's many hidden talents that I didn't know about.

"I have no fucking idea," Luke said, flatly, killing all the hope I had.

"Oh my God," I said, more to myself than to him.

Don't panic, Ella.

Don't panic.

Luke was deadly quiet, looking out of the window as if he was trying to come up with some kind of solution.

"Can't we like Google it or something?" I suggested, after a few seconds of tense silence.

"I'm pretty sure even Google can't help us out if we don't have the right tools."

"Oh my God," I wailed again, putting my head in my hands. "This is it! We're going to die out here! Then some wild animal will find our bodies and eat us and nobody will ever find out what happened."

"Christ, Ella. Could you please calm down?" Luke said, rolling his eyes. How was it that he managed to remain completely sane in these situations? He hadn't broken a sweat when we were arrested, or when we jumped out of a plane, and now here we were stranded in the middle of nowhere and he was acting like everything was perfectly normal.

"I am calm," I lied, "I'm just slightly concerned about our situation."

"Well don't be," Luke said, grinning. "I have a plan."

"Oh God," I groaned. "Now I'm more than slightly concerned."

After spending the last few months listening and in fact following through with Luke's so called genius plans I had learnt my lesson. Whatever it was surely wouldn't be my idea of a good plan.

"Just hear me out, okay?" Luke said. "I say, we lock up the car and walk back to the motel I saw about a mile back. We can stay there for the night and in the morning we'll see if there's anybody we can call to get the car fixed. How's that?"

I blinked.

"Wow," I finally said, momentarily taken aback. "That actually sounds like a practical and well thought out plan."

Luke smirked.

"Never thought I'd live to see the day that Luke Turner said something smart or practical," I exclaimed, astonished.

That wiped the smirk clean off of his face.

"Haha," he mumbled. "Very funny. Now let's get going before one of those wild animals eats you alive."

"Shut up," I snapped, climbing out of the car with him.

Luke shrugged. "Just to let you know, if a bear came at us right now, I would probably sacrifice you."

"What!" I cried, offended. "I would never sacrifice you."

"You totally would," he accused, grabbing my bag from the backseat and swinging it over his shoulder.

"I can carry that you know," I said, gesturing to the bag.

"Well I'm being a nice person and helping you carry it. So you be a nice person too and help me move this car."