Chapter 8: Get in Loser We're Going Shopping

Chapter 8: Get in Loser, We're Going Shopping

Friday was always my favorite day of the week.

Friday meant two whole days of freedom and sleep and endless hours of Instagram stalking attractive strangers.

However, unlike usual, Friday did not bring me much joy this week. I'd been ignoring my homework since Tuesday and it had been building up to the point where I didn't even want to think about it. Friday also meant that the weekend was coming up and the weekend meant having to look after Cactus, which also meant no sleep.

Basically, when I woke up that morning I was not in a good mood.

"SAM!" I yelled, storming down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Did you steal my phone charger again?"

Sam, who was sitting on the kitchen table shoving pancakes into his mouth, blinked at me. "You said I could borrow it," he said, opening his mouth and giving me a clear view of its contents.

"First of all, that is so gross. Please close your mouth. And second of all, I said you could BORROW it. Not keep it."

"Mom," Sam shouted, "Ella won't share!"

My mom, who was making pancakes just behind Sam, winced. "Sam I'm right here, please don't shout. And if Ella lends you something that belongs to her then you have to return it. Besides, don't you have your own charger?"

This question immediately set off a heated argument between Sam and my mom about how my dad was refusing to buy him a new charger and how Sam was old enough that if he broke something he could save up and replace it on his own.

I was so not in the mood for this.

When I heard a car honk outside I immediately sighed in relief. I didn't have any time to eat my breakfast, but at least my ride to school was here to save me from my annoying and loud family.

"Oooh Ella, it's your boyfriend," Sam exclaimed.

"He's not my boyfriend," I snapped defensively, picking up my bag and kissing my mom goodbye.

Well, technically, he was. However, there was no way I was going to tell Sam or my parents that.

Since Wednesday, Austin and Chase had been giving me rides to school. At first, I'd insisted that I'd much rather ride my bike. After all, what did I love more than cruising along on my pastel pink bicycle with the wind in my hair? But, after relentlessly being pestered by the two siblings, I eventually gave in.

My parents knew I was now getting rides to school, but they thought Austin and Chase were just friends of mine. They had no idea that Austin was my "boyfriend." There was no way I could tell them this and there was definitely no way I could tell them about pretending to fake date Austin because he was actually gay and not ready to come out yet.

"Whatever you say, loser," Sam called after me, as I closed the front door. I rolled my eyes and made my way to Austin's car.

"Hey babe," Chase said when I slid into the back of the car that him and his brother shared.

"Shut up, Chase," Austin said, roughly shoving his twin.

"Morning you two," I greeted, unable to hold back my laughter. I hadn't been friends with the two of them for very long, but I was already growing used to Chase's constant flirtatious behaviour. I know he didn't really mean anything by it and it was slightly endearing in a weird way.

"So, Ella," Chase began a few minutes later, turning around so he could face me. "Austin and I were just discussing how you've been 'dating' for almost a week, but you still haven't been on a real date."