Chapter 2: You're That Girl Who Peed Her Pants!

The next morning I was woken up not by my alarm, but by the bright morning light that seemed to be so inconveniently streaming through my window. I let out some kind of groaning noise before rolling onto my side, so that my face was pressed into the sheets. Why hadn't I closed the damn curtains before going to bed?

I pulled my blanket over my head and attempted to return back to my unconscious state, but to no avail.

It was Monday morning, which meant only one thing.

School.

To be more precise, the first day of senior year.

I wasn't exactly dreading it, but I wasn't looking forward to it either. When I'd moved here a year ago with my family, I had immediately picked up on the fact that the kids my age were pretty different to me. In this school you were either bubbly and pretty and popular, or you were just not important. And I was the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I do have my small group of friends (who respect my lacking ability to socialize), but that only made the idea of school slightly better.

There was a loud knock on my door and I sighed, re-emerging from inside the cocoon I had made using my blanket.

"Ella! You better be up!" My mom poked her head around my bedroom door and beamed at me, "I've made breakfast, hurry before your brother finishes it all."

If there was one way my mom could get me ready and downstairs on a Monday, it was bribery and she knew it.

"I'll be down in thirty minutes. Do not let him anywhere near my food or he'll be as dead as the bacon I'm about to devour."

My mum just rolled her eyes and chuckled, closing the door behind her.

As per usual, I did not take very long to get ready. I was showered and dressed in about twenty minutes, leaving me just enough time to do something with my hair. 

I decided to tie my wavy mousy brown hair, which reached just past my shoulders, in a messy ponytail before shoving on my permanently dirty glasses. I should really consider cleaning those.

I raced down the stairs and sat down on the kitchen table, opposite my dad, five minutes earlier than expected.

"Morning," he said, taking a sip of his coffee. "Ready for your first day back?"

I shrugged. "Depends how you define ready."

My mom put a plate of food down in front of me and I immediately grinned, my mood visibly getting better.

"Are you ready to stay on top of your schoolwork and maintain your grade point average?" my dad rephrased.

I took a bite of my food and rolled my eyes at him. As per usual my dad was being his pushy and overly encouraging self. No matter how many times I insisted I was happy being average in school, he would continue to nag me about the importance of getting the best grades. He was the kind of parent that excepted nothing other then the best and it was rare to ever get praise from him.

"Do I smell bacon?" Sam, my eleven year old brother, strode into the kitchen and sniffed the air, interrupting our conversation.

"No, that's probably your natural pig like scent," I said, swallowing my food and giving him a sarcastic smile.

"Shut up Ella, you nerd," he snapped, glaring at me.

"Oh good comeback," I said, my words coated in sarcasm. "Mom help, I think I'm going to need some ice for that burn."