1

Hey everyone! This is my very first fanfic so I'm really sorry if I mess up on anything, I hope y'all shuckin' like it! :D

____________________________________________________________________________________

[Newt's P.O.V]

"Newt."

I look around me carefully, taking in my surroundings, I'm in a room, a hospital room to be exact. I don't remember how I got here, why I'm here. There are no windows, no doors. I try to get up but I can't, I'm connected to a bunch of wires that lead to countless machines all around the hospital bed I'm lying in.

"Newt."

I snap out of my thoughts. Where did this voice come from? How does that person know my name?

"Remember Newt."

Remember what? What's going on? What's happening to me?

"You're their only hope, Newt. You're the glue that sticks them together."

The glue? What is supposed to me? Who's talking to me? 

Suddenly, I start gasping for air, the whole room starts spinning and I struggle to stay awake. All of the machines start beeping. I try to call for help but no sound comes out. I feel myself slipping away. Once again, I hear the voice speaking to me.

"Wicked is good."

~~~

I wake up with a jolt and start gasping for air. I look around me and realize I'm still in the glade and that was all a dream, or a memory...

This isn't the first time I've had one of those and it won't be the last. This has been happening for a while now. Yet, I refuse to tell anyone about them not even Alby.

I slowly get up from my bed making sure not to wake up anyone, slip on my shoes and go downstairs and out of the homestead to get some fresh air. I make my way to the one place where I can actually sit down and think by myself, the deadheads. 

Once I get there, I walk straightforward dodging the tombstones around me until I get to the one I'm looking for and I sit in front of it. I slowly trace my fingers over the name engraved on it.

"Nick.." I sigh softly, staring at the name of my now, passed friend. He got attacked by a griever two months  ago and ended up dying from the loss of blood. 

I stay in the same position for a while, staring at the tombstone and thinking about the dreams that I've been having. I always hear the same voice, repeating the words that haunt me day and night. Wicked is good. I never understood the meaning behind these words. Why do I always end up in a hospital room? Was something wrong with me? Why does that voice keeping talking nonsense to me?

I snap out of my thoughts once I hear someone coming up from behind me and putting their hand on my shoulder. I spin my head and and find Alby staring down at me, his face full of concern.

"Newt? What are you doing here so early? Is something wrong?"

I get up and brush off my pants, "Everything's alright, Alby." I say, managing a small fake smile.

He puts his hand on my shoulder, "Are you sure? You seemed pretty deep in thought for a moment there."

"Yes."

"If you say so, anyways, I'll be going in the maze today with Minho since Ben got stung and they're short on runners. Do you think you can handle the greenie today?"

I remember that today is the day the box comes up again, with a new greenie and supplies, "Are you sure about this? You're in charge here. I can go instead." He seems taken aback by what I just said and his eyes soften.

"I'm sorry Newt but I can't risk you going out there with that limp, besides, that's why you're my second in-command, I always know I can count on you to turn things around here, alright?"

I sigh in defeat, he does have a point, ever since that day, Alby has never let me out of the glade. I walk with him away from the deadheads and straight to the doors of the maze.

By the time we get there, Minho's already waiting patiently. He smiles once he sees us approaching him.

"Morning you two, ready to go Alby?"

Alby nods and turns his gaze to me, "I trust you with glade, Newt."

"You've got nothing to worry about."

He grins, "See ya later, shank."

"Bye Newt."

And with that, they both slowly disappear into the maze. I sigh and run my hand through my hair. Sometimes, I really wish I can be a runner again. Speeding through the paths of the maze. Exploring every inch of it. Memorizing every twist and turn.  Mapping it. All in hope of finding the exit out of here. 

I walk around the glade, making sure everything that is going well and that everyone's doing their part right. Order. That's Alby's number one rule. It's the only thing that's kept the glade up and running. 

Then, it comes, the all-familiar alarm, signaling the arrival of the box. I start heading towards it. Time to see what the creators have in store for us this time.

____________________________________________________________________________________

And that is the first chapter of this fanfic! c: I hope you all enjoyed reading this. As you see, The main idea of the whole book is still there. Except in this version, Newt is more of the main character and there are significant changes in the story line. I'll try to update as soon as possible, thank you all for reading and make sure to vote and leave a comment!