Chapter 1 - A Rough Start ☁️

I sauntered through the streets of the city, the night sky black above me. My leather jacket sealed me from the bite of the frost, so I unzipped it, revealing my chocolate brown tank top. My jeans were tight, the way I liked them, and also warmed me. My boots were thick, black leather lace ups, the kind of boots you'd expect someone out at midnight to wear.

I walked into the town square. A circle of six teens had already gathered.  I stepped into the empty  place. All the people there were misfits from the normal world. They had dyed hair, piercings, tattoos. A girl with pink hair and a nose stud spat her gum onto the pavement.

"You're late". She said.

She's the dictator of the group. To be honest I'm more of democracy person.

"Yeah, I'm late, you got a problem with that?" I said.

She growled at me, I mean literally growled.  " Little girl, you'd be wise to back off... unless you're looking for a fight?"

She looked a lot older than me. Quite a bit bigger too. 

But there was no way I was backing down.

I spat on the ground and I guess to her that was answer enough. I shrugged off my leather jacket and my arms glowed, the spiralling lines tingling. I flung the jacket to one side, my eyes narrowing, heart rate already quickening.

We circled one another, eying each other warily. The onlookers whispered behind closed hands. She made the first move, slamming into me and bashing my head onto the pavement. I growled and channeled the buzzing inside me into my hand causing it to grow hot. I pressed it on her skin and she yelped jerking backwards.

I rolled her over so I was on top. She snarled and managed to punch me in the stomach. My breath went out of me  and I gasped, winded.

She pushed me off her and l landed on my back. I scuttled backwards, crab style and stood up.

She was also standing.

We circled one another again, and this time I went first. I roundhouse kicked her in the guts and rained down punches, but  then she counter-attacked, kneeing me in the stomach, and I stepped back allowing her to throw a punch towards me. My hands went up to guard, but not fast enough, and her fist hit my unprotected face.  My cheek bone was singing with pain. I was outmatched.

No way.

I grabbed her arms, forcing her to wrestle, but she swept a leg under my feet and I toppled onto the ground, lying on my back.

Geddup,geddup I told myself, sucking in air. She looked down at me and laughed.

She drew back her boot and her foot slammed into my head. My breath rushed out from between my teeth as sparks exploded behind my eyelids. Just before I blacked out, I heard her laugh.

When I woke up, my head hurt like hell and one eye was starting to swell shut. I guessed it was about two in the morning. 

I staggered through the empty streets until I reached my house. Groaning, I hauled myself up a tree and then crawled through my bedroom window.

The light flicked on and I froze. The figure of my brother stood in the door. Tall, broad shouldered, scary - well, unless you're me, of course.

"Hey!" I complained, " What are you doing up?"

He didn't answer. Instead he started berating me.

"What where you thinking? God, look at the state of you! Iris, you can't keep roaming around, not at night."

I sighed, "I'm a Buzzer, Darren, it's what we do!"

"Oh, yeah, I forgot, you supposedly have special powers," he laughed again,  "Doesn't stop you getting beaten up though, does it?"

I blushed. "Yeah, but this girl was like twenty two, and the leader - also Buzzers are stronger than people like you. I could kick your ass, no sweat." I folded my arms across my chest.

Instead of replying, my brother deflated a little, like a party balloon losing its air. He sat down on my bed, 

" Yeah, I know." He said heavily,  "It's unfair. I'm your big brother - I'm meant to be stronger than you - cooler, smarter. Why don't I buzz? I could protect you."

I smiled at him, " You may be a very, very late bloomer, but I don't think so. Dan, we rotate in different circles, don't try to protect me - you're just going to get hurt."

"Tell me who did this to you." He leaned forward, suddenly earnest, "Or I'll make sure you don't go out at night. Ever again."

"Darren, you don't understand. I have magick! Wild, free untamed - that's what I am at night. I never get tired, I'm strong. Don't you want that freedom?"

He turned away from me a little, trying to hide his emotions, "I do, but I don't buzz."

He got up and made his way towards the door. I felt myself buzz, and I gritted my teeth to control myself. He didn't understand. Killjoy.

I have my own life. It's not up to him how I spend it.

I stripped off my clothes and had a shower, washing off the blood. I glared at myself in the mirror. My ribs were beginning to turn dark purple, probably some of them were broken judging by the pain when I breathed.

My face had a black eye and there was a cut on my forehead, sticky with blood. Hmmm, antiseptic would probably be a good idea.

I dabbed it on, wincing at the sting.

My parents would freak. I frowned. Or I wished they would. They probably wouldn't even notice or if they did, they wouldn't care.

I woke up the next morning, and my head felt like it had been split open with an anvil.  I practically crawled to the bathroom. 

I put on clean clothes with no blood on them. Normal clothes, with mint green converse. I brushed my hair so it fell over my shoulders. I grabbed my leather jacket, so people wouldn't notice my tattooed arms and headed out of the front door.

I travelled to a cafe and bought a strong black coffee in a takeaway cup. I sipped it, enjoying the hot, bitter taste. I ignored the stares, scowling as I soaked up sun.

My injuries weren't too bad. My pride would take a little longer to recover.

Two men approached me, one was big, muscly, the other slightly smaller. I stiffened as they leant on the wall beside me, one on either side. The first man opened his coat slightly, revealing a black revolver.

"Pardon me, Miss," the second man said, "But if you would just step this way."

I may be magic, but I'm not bullet proof.

I had no choice but to follow them to their car.

"Get in the car."

"Why?" I said half scared and half flipping furious.

"The truth is Miss, we have a task for you," He  smiled, "you are a very... special young lady."

I swallowed and forced a laugh.

"Nah,you probably say that to every teenage girl you kidnap."

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

AN: 

I'd just like to say thanks for reading this and I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 

Later,

Appollinia