Chapter 14 - Too Much Buzz

As soon as I got back to my room. I slammed the door as hard as I could. The stupid thing didn't have a lock, so I slid down and sat against it. 

Before I could stop them the tears were running down my face. For all my toughness, for all my independence and street smarts, I had been backed into a corner which I couldn't escape from. And I Goddamn hated it.

I wanted to get out of here and just run away, but this was my brother's life and it was in my hands. 

I could do this, I told myself. I have to do this. 

But what if I couldn't? 

I felt as if suddenly everything was way too big for me to cope with. I was trapped in this huge huge web and what was I meant to do? 

Eventually, there was a knock on my door. 

I wiped my eyes with my hands, trying to hide the traces of tears. 

"Iris." Someone said. "Come out." 

I sighed and stood up. I swung open the door. Aaron stood outside it. 

"What are you doing here?" I said.

He cocked an eyebrow at me. "They told me to fetch you." He said, "Apparently you got in a fight."

I searched his eyes, but found nothing in them except for cold disdain. God, he really did hate me. 

I inwardly rolled my eyes. Who cared? He was a sorcerer. I felt bad, because I threw his hospitality back in his face, that's all. 

"Why you?" I said, "I could snap you like a twig." I glanced at his skinny arms pointedly.

He laughed scornfully. "Don't think it would be that easy. There's a reason that I'm the one escorting you."

I raised an eyebrow, "And what would that be?"

He smiled. "I'm the best person to guard you."

"Right." I said. "You know what Aaron? This has been a nice chat and all, but I don't really feel like leaving this room right now." 

He looked surprised.

"In fact." I said, "Until the ice queen visits me privately, I think imma just stay right here." I folded my arms and smirked at him.

"I'm here to escort you." Aaron reiterated.

"Sorry." I said, "But I'm here to refuse."

"I'm here to escort you," Aaron said again, "And I will use force if necessary."

I laughed. "Nice try honey. But I don't think that's gonna work."

I moved to close the door, when suddenly a buzzing filled my head. 

"What-" I looked at Aaron. 

He raised his eyebrow at me and instantly the buzzing increased in pitch and volume. My hands went to my head and I dropped to a crouch on the floor. My head felt as if it was going to explode. I stayed on the floor in the fetal position in too much pain to even scream. 

"Now will you come?" I dimly heard Aaron say over the buzzing in my head.

I only had enough energy to gasp out two words. "Please... stop." 

Tears drizzled over my eyelids and down my face. I screwed my eyes shut, knowing nothing but the pain. 

The buzzing increased again and I screamed out as it spiraled down my body like lines of red hot fire. 

"Please!" I said. "Please, please make it stop, make it stop, make it stop. Please, please make it stop. Please-" The buzzing cut off and I was left like a fish on the ground still gasping please. 

"Get up." Aaron said. 

I stumbled to pull myself to my feet, my face wet with tears. 

Aaron's face was dispassionate and strangely curious. 

"You have a very low tolerance." He remarked. 

My head was ringing too much to answer him. I concentrated on remaining upright. 

"Alright, come on then." He said. 

Putting one hand over mine he roughly dragged me down the corridor. 

"Wait." I stumbled. "I need a break please."

He stopped begrudgingly and I leaned against the wall trying to get my breath back. 

"I'm sorry." He said eventually. "I didn't realise that it would be that painful for you."

I glared at him. "You're sick." I said, "You're some kind of sick sadist."

"I didn't know how it would affect buzzers." He said. 

"Oh, so you usually just torture sorcerors?" I said. 

"No." He said. "My power is to increase the flow of people's magic. I usually use it to help the sick and injured heal. If you go too far it can be painful, but I really didn't increase yours much at all and it seemed... painful. I thought you were acting."

"Oh sure," I said, "I was acting. Buzzers have more magic than you dipwad, that's why you shouldn't increase it!"

Especially ones with the scar lines I have. I'm pretty sure I have a lot more magic than most buzzers, but of course, there was no need to tell him that. 

"I'll go gentler next time." 

"Next time?" 

"I mean, if there is a next time." Aaron said, "We need to have some way to keep you under control."

"Oh yeah," I said, " I almost forgot, I'm a 'dangerous' buzzer."

"You did just seriously injure two of our security staff." 

I shrugged. "Touché." 

He did kinda have a point. 

AN: 

Hey guys!

Sorry this chapter is kind of short, I'll make the next one a little longer, I promise :). As always, thanks for reading and if you liked it make sure to hit the like button. Feedback is always welcome so feel free to comment and let me know what you thought.

Thanks a lot!

Appollinia