Red

By Starryeyedboxes

Jack sat at the bus stop, completely discarding the notion that he would get to avoid the rain at all today. It was terribly gloomy outside and the roll of thunder was prominent, but the young Irishman forgot his umbrella at home so he was stuck sitting on the lonely bench as the heavy water seemed to abuse his shivering body.
All he could really hope for was the bus coming into view much earlier than he anticipated.
Wrapping his red fingers around his arms, he began to rub up and down, desperately trying to stay warm in any way possible. He peered out from under his grey cap and looked around, amazed at how empty the streets were. It was obviously because of the rain. Jack quickly cursed himself for not doing the same by staying indoors. He just had to get some food instead of ordering from home.
"Whoa," a husky voice called from behind Jack, causing him to turn his head around sharply.
When he focused his vision through the rain, he saw a man with raven-black hair and gorgeous brown eyes hurrying towards him. The Irishman looked around him again. Was there anyone else here? Why was this stranger approaching him?
"Me?" He held up his numb index finger towards his face while quirking an eyebrow.
The man finally made it over and hung a lovely crimson umbrella over the two of them as he took a seat on the wet bench. He tilted it just at the perfect angle so the slanted drops wouldn't soak them any further.
"What are you doing out here with no umbrella?" The man with the American accent unwrapped a thick red scarf from around his neck and cloaked it around the Irishman's, his breath forming white clouds in between them. "It's freezing!"
Jack's fingers found their way up to the fabric wrapped around him and while it was slightly damp, it was warm. He looked down, the scarf draping around his body ever so softly. His fingertips caressed the delicate material, incredibly shocked at the generosity of a complete stranger. The young man's blue eyes looked over it thoughtfully, his voice slightly caught in his dry throat.
"Man," the stranger continued as he pushed his glasses up on his nose. "The rain just won't let up today, huh?"
Looking up at the beautiful American beside him, Jack's eyes wandered his face, examining everything in sight. He traced the strong cheekbones to the way his glasses sat on his face lightly, and even to the beautiful small dark brown spots that appeared on his chin. That raven black hair flopped around due to the wind, and when his brown eyes met the Irishman's, Jack felt his face flush slightly. It almost felt like he had been caught doing something naughty.
"You feeling a little warmer now?" He asked, a radiant smile appearing on his defined face. Jack quickly nodded, his voice still caught up. "I saw you just sitting here in the rain. You must be freezing!"
"Sort of," the drenched man finally managed to mutter, even though it was barely heard over a clap of thunder that surrounded him. He jumped, quickly caught off guard by the loud noise and turned away from the stranger when he heard a humored laugh escape soft lips.
"You scared of the weather or something?"
"No," he responded carefully. "I hate the rain, though. But I'm not scared."
Jack felt the man's gaze heavy on him so he refused to look back and pulled the red scarf over his mouth as he buried his numb nose into the soft fabric in a feeble attempt to warm his face up. When he breathed in, a lovely scent of what Jack assumed was the stranger's natural aroma filled his lungs and he almost let out a comfortable sigh. It was a wonderful smell and for some reason, it made his body feel much more relaxed than what it was feeling like just moments ago. The tension quickly evaporated as he sunk into the cheerful feeling, his eyes half-lidded.
"Well," the stranger continued, twisting the umbrella slightly to watch some of the extra drops fly across their field of vision. "What are you doing out at this time? Normally everyone stays inside."
Still a little dazed from the generous scarf laced around his neck, the Irishman pulled it back down from his mouth so he could speak again. "I really wanted food for some reason. I should've just ordered a pizza. Pretty stupid of me to actually leave home. And without an umbrella at that."
Another beautiful laugh echoed between them as the handsome man patted Jack's back comfortingly. It was a strong movement and Jack's already slumped posture worsened with each hit.
"I wouldn't say stupid. Just forgetful."
"I suppose," Jack mumbled, his cheeks slightly blushing from embarrassment. "You?"
Shifting his position so he could cross his leg over his knee and lean his elbow on the back of the bench while still shielding them from the onslaught of water, the raven-haired man glanced down at the man sporting his scarf and smiled. "Unlike you, I enjoy the rain. It's pretty calming to me. I was actually about to walk home when I saw you- Oh! Look! Your bus is here!"
And Jack quickly followed the stranger's gaze and saw that he was correct. The bus came to a slow halt in front of the men and they both stood up at the same time. The American walked him to the bus doors, still holding the red umbrella over them, and let the young man board before waving goodbye.
"I hope you don't catch a cold! Remember to bring an umbrella nice time, ya doof!"
Still slightly unsure of what to do, Jack rose his right hand to return the farewell and the bus shut the doors between them and took off down the street once more. He slid his bus pass through the scanner and sat down at the window, his thoughts confused about what just happened. A complete and utter stranger approached him and did something so incredibly generous. He protected him from the rain, comforted him when the thunder hit, and gave a warm scarf when he assumed the Irishman was freezing.
Wait.
Jack quickly looked down and saw he was still wearing the lovely red scarf around his body and internally groaned, clearly upset that he forgot to return it. Pulling it up to his face again, he nuzzled into it and felt the delicate fabric run across his cheek. It was so comfortable to lean into. It almost felt like a wearable version of a wonderful blanket.
He looked back out the bus window and sighed at the terrible rain, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. Jack hoped that the stranger didn't mind his scarf was accidentally stolen. It wasn't like he meant to take it.
Jack hadn't even gotten the man's name.