Too Many Miles Between Us

Amazingly corny after-con fic by Disfiguroo

Jack sat on his bed in the dark of his room and twiddled his phone between his fingers. A glance at his clock told him that it was almost 2:30 AM. He was in bed surprisingly early, but he had also just gotten back from America earlier that day and he was tired as balls.
He was exhausted but he couldn't sleep because his stupid mind wouldn't shut up. All he could think about was how much fun he had had with everyone, especially Mark. He sighed loudly. This happened every time. He would go to America, see Mark, have the time of his life, have to leave, cry, and then miss Mark far too much to be heterosexually acceptable. Rinse and repeat.
He tried to tell himself "Of course you miss Mark! He's your friend and he's awesome and you don't get to see him very often" which then turned into "God, you miss him like you would miss oxygen if you were drowning" which then led into "oh god why".
Things had gotten a little... tense this time around. As was tradition, everyone went out and drank and had a great time, but he and Mark were sharing a room, and despite the fact that there were two single beds, they woke up tangled together (still clothed) on one of the beds the following morning. It had been very obvious that they had fallen asleep snuggling together. Later, during his shower, Jack had found a hickey on his collarbone and he had no recollection of acquiring it.
There had always been a tension between them-pretty much everyone knew it. You could see it in the way they interacted together. Constant flirting, teasing, unnecessary touches... When they came down for breakfast, though, the tension was palpable and damn near suffocating.
Despite everything, when Jack had left for the airport, Mark had hugged him tight. He had held on longer than what was probably an appropriate amount of time, but Mark hadn't really seemed to mind. He had departed with the promise to message him once he was back in Ireland.
Jack sighed again and pressed the heel of his hand against his eyes. Green and red color bursts shot through the darkness, and for a moment he watched the colors dance. His phone vibrated and he jumped, causing his hand to sock his eye a little harder than intended.
"Fuckin' hell," he muttered, rubbing his now sore eye while he unlocked his phone. The message was from Mark.
2:41 AM - Mark: I miss you.
Jack choked slightly on his spit. He expected it to be Mark, since Mark was the only one that would text him in the middle of the night. He was also pretty much the only one he texted, now that he thought about it.
2:42 AM - Jack: I miss you too ya silly.
Jack was worried that if he didn't try and joke a bit about it, he would come off too serious and make everything even more tense. Without being able to rectify the issue in person, he didn't really want to cause any issues with their friendship.
2:42 AM - Mark: No like you don't understand
2:42 AM - Mark: I really fucking miss you.
Jack re-read the message three times before responding.
2:44 AM - Jack: You do? Usually it's me that has all the after con emotions haha
2:45 AM - Mark: Yeah it's actually kind of weird
2:45 AM - Mark: I missed you before you even left this morning
2:45 AM - Mark: ???
2:45 AM - Mark: How does that even work?
Jack was afraid that if he said something, Mark would stop talking about whatever tangent he was about to spill into. Mark was very well known for beginning a topic and never finishing it if someone distracted him.
2:46 AM - Mark: I mean I always miss you when you leave because you're fucking awesome and like
2:46 AM - Mark: i hate
2:46 AM - Mark: sorry
2:46 AM - Mark: I hate that you have to leave**
2:46 AM - Mark: Why is ireland so far away? :(
Jack chewed on his lip until he felt the skin crack and the tang of copper exploded over his tongue. He was so afraid that he would fuck up this conversation because hey, that's what he was good at!
2:48 AM - Jack: Continental drift
2:48 AM - Jack: :P
2:48 AM - Jack: ok ok but in all seriousness i really miss you too
2:48 AM - Jack: though i always really miss you after a con so its not that different from the normal haha
Jack grumbled when he realized that he had to pee. He set his phone on the side table and crawled out from underneath his lovely duvet and padded across the cold floor to the bathroom. When he was done, he came back to several more messages from Mark. As he read them, his heart tried to skyrocket out of his mouth and into the stratosphere.
2:50 AM - Mark: this is a different kind of 'missing you' for me though
2:50 AM - Mark: im not used to this
2:50 AM - Mark: it's the same feeling i used to get when i didn't get to see my girlfriend for a while
2:50 AM - Mark: it's weirding me out sean like i don't
2:50 AM - Mark: i dont know what to do**
2:50 AM - Mark: this hasn't happened to me before and im not like angry about it or anything but im fucking confused you know
2:50 AM - Mark: like i didn't expect to wake up in bed with you and then have my next thought be about how i wouldnt midn waking up like this every morning you knwo
2:50 AM - Mark: mind** know**
2:52 AM - Mark: oh god why havent you said anything
2:52 AM - Mark: did i just fuck everything up?
Jack sat in stunned silence for a long minute before calling Mark. He picked up on the second ring.
"Hello?" he asked, sounding apprehensive.
"You didn't fuck anythin' up," Jack told him, and he heard Mark sigh on the other end of the line.
"You sure?"
"I'm positive," he said. His face was beginning to hurt from how much he was smiling.
"Good." He could almost hear the smile in Mark's voice. "I really hope I didn't wake you up."
Jack snorted. "Me? Sleep? Sleep is for the weak." He fiddled with the collar of his shirt and brushed his finger over the mystery hickey. "While I've got you on the phone..."
"Yes?"
"It seems that someone gave me a hickey last night and I don't remember who it was." His suspicion was confirmed when Mark made a quiet noise of distress. "Did we snog?"
"I can't believe you just said snog," Mark teased.
"I'm fuckin' Irish, okay? Leave me alone you dirty American," Jack teased back. "But seriously, did we?"
Mark was quiet for a few seconds. "...Yeah. Nothing much happened past some kissing... You actually fell asleep in the middle of me kissing your neck." Jack couldn't help it-he burst out laughing.
"I finally get to kiss you and I fall asleep in the middle of it? Wow."
"Wait... What do you mean finally?"
"Uh... Woops it's late! Gotta go!" he said, panicking.
"Sean William McLoughlin, if you hang up this phone I will-" He hit end call, and not even three seconds later a text popped up.
2:59 AM - Mark: I'm going to kill you >:(
2:59 AM - Mark: but for real you should talk about how you've been wanting to kiss me
2:59 AM - Mark: ;) ;) ;)
3:00 AM - Jack: You'll just have to wait and find out in person :P
3:00 AM - Mark: is that a promise??
3:00 AM - Jack: absolutely.